Find the answer to your Linux question:
I heard that area 51 plays on linux, but I can't find a linux version of the game....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

area 51?

I heard that area 51 plays on linux, but I can't find a linux version of the game.

Just Joined!
    I can't find a linux version of the game either, which brings me to assume that area 51 (windows version) runs on wine.

You can install wine with "apt-get install wine" and then use a nifty application called "PlayOnLinux" to try and install area 51. I'm not sure if PlayOnLinux has support for area 51, but it's worth a try.

Otherwise, just use a normal wine install & execute.

I did download wine, but how do I use it to install and run games using wine?

Just Joined!
    Have you taken a look at "PlayOnLinux" It should be able to do all of this for you. But if Area51 is not supported on PlayOnLinux, you can try the manual method:

1. Press [ALT] + [F2]
    2. type in "gnome-terminal"
    3. In the terminal type:

Code:
    wine /home/user/area51/setup.exe
    Where "/home/user/area51/setup.exe" is the location of the windows executable setup application.

If all goes well, it should bring up the install screen, and the installation will complete as it does on window.

In ubuntu, you should then find a shortcut in the Applications >> Wine menu.

Good luck, and let me know if it works
    Last edited by athare; 06-30-2010 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Spelling

Or right click on the .exe file.
    Choose "Open With" and select Wine from the selection of apps.
    That will automatically start wine and it will try installing and running the game.

If Wine isn't in your software list choose Custom Command and in the space type in wine

Wine won't open it cause it is downloaded from the internet and said it might be a dangerous file. How do I change that security function in wine?

Are you running Linux within Windows like with the Ubuntu Wubi installer or is it a full install on its own partition?

I've never seen a warning message like that with Wine or within Linux. Sure sounds like a Windows warning.
    All I ever do to install Windows software using Wine is to right click on the exe file and select Open With and choose Wine from the list.

Quote Originally Posted by TaZMAniac View Post
    Are you running Linux within Windows like with the Ubuntu Wubi installer or is it a full install on its own partition?

I've never seen a warning message like that with Wine or within Linux. Sure sounds like a Windows warning.
    All I ever do to install Windows software using Wine is to right click on the exe file and select Open With and choose Wine from the list.
    No, all I run is ubuntu. I hate windows.