Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just to let you guys know for those who might be looking for a good MP3 player for linux would be the Sansa Fuze. It is a 8 GB mp3 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

MP3 player for linux!

Just to let you guys know for those who might be looking for a good MP3 player for linux would be the Sansa Fuze. It is a 8 GB mp3 player that is upgradeable by a micro sd slot that supports 16 GB. Best part rythmbox treats it like ipod with itunes. It can play videos and it is on $85. It also supports ogg vorbis file format.

does it support FLAC? it looks like it has video, do you know what video codecs it supports? I really want to convert all my media to Free Software formats, but have a hard time with hardware support.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

It does play video, and according to the back of the box it supports flac formats. I am not very familiar with flac, does that use less room then wma? I love this thing for the fact I could use my rythmbox, I didn't need to download any other software to work.

To get it to work with linux on the player when you turn it on go into setting, then system setting, usb mode and you have to set it to "MSC" in order for Linux to be able to recognize it when you plug it in. You only do that once and then 100% compatible with the your disttro's OS.

Flac is a lossless format. It is like PNG, compared to JPG. with JPG, you get a very high compression ratio that uses very little space, but you lose quality in the process. PNG, you compress the picture, and it does take up more space, but the file is uncompressed into an exact duplicate of the original, so you retain all quality.

It's not hugely obvious in most people's music, but I tend to listen to classical music, and there is a noticeable difference between FLAC, and the average compression for vorbis / mp3. You can reduce the difference by using higher bitrate, but I prefer to just use flac, as there are no settings to mess with. If I encode to flac, you always get 100% reproduction while playing.

One of my complaints with the Motorola droid is that flac support is not there. Odly, it supports Vorbis, which while I prefer vorbis over all other lossy formats, it is less popular than flac, which is the de facto standard for lossless, even for people who don't care about their rights with software.

Flac comes from the same group that does Vorbis and Theora, xiph
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

I love my Sansa Fuze but I only paid 40 Bucks for mine.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I did pay $85 and I am about to buy a 8 GB micro sd off amazon for $8-$10 which means 16 GB for $95. Not to bad considering a 16 GB ipod is $175 and it doesn't have a true 16 GB storage. I think the sansa fuze OS only uses 600 MB so it at least is pretty close to it's claimed storage capability.

Quote Originally Posted by DGrier View Post
    I think the sansa fuze OS only uses 600 MB so it at least is pretty close to it's claimed storage capability.

only 600 MB ???

I remember the second PC I used ( I have no idea how much my first, a commodore 128, had) had less than 1 gig of hard drive space. It's hard to think that a device that does 1 thing (play media files) would require THAT much space, and that it is the lesser of 2 devices.

I'd say get off my lawn, but I'm only 22, this is ridiculous.

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Quote Originally Posted by meton_magis View Post
    only 600 MB ???

I remember the second PC I used ( I have no idea how much my first, a commodore 128, had) had less than 1 gig of hard drive space. It's hard to think that a device that does 1 thing (play media files) would require THAT much space, and that it is the lesser of 2 devices.

I'd say get off my lawn, but I'm only 22, this is ridiculous.
    , Yeah I know what you saying cause I remember when I was a kid we bought a CTX desktop and it had 4 GB of HDD space ( 2GB HDD x2). But it gives you 7.4 GB of storage where as the ipod doesn't. I bought a 16 GB ipod nano and the device once started up claimes to only have 10.5 GB, I was pissed cause I felt ripped off.

Just Joined!
    I think I spend way too much time in front of a computer... I never feel like I miss
    not having my music with me. lol