Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sorry to post about this again, but no one responded to the other one, and I am going to be more specific this time. My problem is this: I can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

problems with codecs and xine

Sorry to post about this again, but no one responded to the other one, and I am going to be more specific this time. My problem is this: I can play some videos, but not others. It is not specific to video format, and I can't figure it out, and neither can my cousin, and he is pretty damned good with linux. I have done tests, I can play some .wmv files, but not others, same goes with .mpeg/.mpg. I have also had the same problem with .avi. I downloaded all of the codecs from the mplayer site, all in the essential package, and all the other ones too. When i try to play the videos, I can hear the sound, but I cannot hear the video. Furthermore, I have played a video on my computer before, but now I cannot play the same exact video file. This did not happen until after my cousin compiled me a new kernel and the installation of my video card (ati radeon 9800pro) which my cousin helped me to configure. Somebody please help me.

Code:
    mplayer -vo <??>
    Check which driver youu are using in mplayer.conf (vo=?)

Fairly sure it is output problem, not decode from what you've said.
    Me & Myself just ganged up on I....... Now We all have problems..and none of Us are speaking!
    bash-3.00$ uname -a
    SunOS sparky 5.11 OpenSolaris-swa sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise

Linux Newbie
    it is using x11

Linux Newbie
    ok, i got it figured out, it was a conflict with my ati catylist driver, and i got it working, thanks for trying to help though

Linux Enthusiast
    i reccomend using the xv video out since it's alot faster and looks better.
    Also, I've noticed that gl2 can produce amazing results on some cards, it's worth a try.