Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I"m using Ubuntu 9.10. I've been trying to get a DVD to play in Movie Player. I believe I've installed all the appropriate packages recommended at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu . I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

[SOLVED] Movie Player - DVDs don't move and no sound

Hi,

I"m using Ubuntu 9.10. I've been trying to get a DVD to play in Movie Player. I believe I've installed all the appropriate packages recommended at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu.

I also installed the 4 other packages specified in the Ununtu Help section that came with the Distro. So, I think I've got everything installed that I need.

When I put a DVD in the drive, it starts automatically. the scroll bar slowly moves but the movie never actually plays. I can skip through the introductory sections by hitting the double arrow. When I get to the section that has the play button, if I click on play, nothing happens. I can skip to the next section, the actual movie, but it doesn't play. I just get a still picture. However, I can slide the scroll bar along to get to other parts of the movie. I also don't get any sound.

I'm running an old Dell Latitude CPx laptop with 750 Mhz and 512 MB. Could that be the problem, too slow of a computer, or is there something I can fix.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you much.

Jim

Have you installed/tried VLC Media Player? It supports most of the media formats.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    Hi Casper,

I tried what you suggested, installing VLC Media Player, and it worked great. Thank you much for your help. Can I uninstall all the stuff that I installed from medibuntu now? Thanks. again.

Jim

Can I uninstall all the stuff that I installed from medibuntu now?
    Not really. The codecs and lib files you downloaded from Medibuntu are needed to play proprietary video files like WMV's.
    You also downloaded the .css file needed by Linux to read protected DVD's.

Linux Newbie
    HI Tazmaniac,

OK, thanks for the reply. I'm glad I read it before I uninstalled that stuff. I thought maybe VLC had all that stuff. Anyway, my system plays DVDs very well now, so much thanks to you and Casper for the help.

Jim

VLC supports most of Media Formats and it downloads it own set of codecs during installation. Keeping medibuntu stuff installed won't affect anything though.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    OK Casper,

Thanks for the additional info.

Jim