Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello! The other day I was using ffmpeg and executing the below without any problems Code: $ ffmpeg -i video.flv video.mp4 And it would just execute and transcode. Today, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Puzzling ffmpeg

Hello!

The other day I was using ffmpeg and executing the below without any problems

Code:
    $ ffmpeg -i video.flv video.mp4
    And it would just execute and transcode.

Today, I still have to make a successful transcode. I execute this and this is the error report I get which was not there the other day.

Code:
    jun@jun-laptop ~/Projects $ ffmpeg -i The\ Silence\ of\ the\ Lambs.avi The\ Silence\ of\ the\ Lambs.mp4
    FFmpeg version 0.5-svn17737+3:0.svn20090303-1ubuntu6.2, Copyright (c) 2000-2009 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
      configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-postproc --enable-swscale --enable-x11grab --extra-version=svn17737+3:0.svn20090303-1ubuntu6.2 --prefix=/usr --enable-avfilter --enable-avfilter-lavf --enable-libgsm --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-pthreads --disable-stripping --disable-vhook --enable-libdc1394 --disable-armv5te --disable-armv6 --disable-armv6t2 --disable-armvfp --disable-neon --disable-altivec --disable-vis --enable-shared --disable-static
      libavutil     49.15. 0 / 49.15. 0
      libavcodec    52.20. 0 / 52.20. 0
      libavformat   52.31. 0 / 52.31. 0
      libavdevice   52. 1. 0 / 52. 1. 0
      libavfilter    0. 4. 0 /  0. 4. 0
      libswscale     0. 7. 1 /  0. 7. 1
      libpostproc   51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0
      built on Apr 23 2010 15:08:34, gcc: 4.3.3
    Input #0, avi, from 'The Silence of the Lambs.avi':
      Duration: 01:58:31.51, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 763 kb/s
        Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 672x362 [PAR 1:1 DAR 336:181], PAR 185344:185325 DAR 16384:8825, 29.97 tbr, 29.97 tbn, 29.97 tbc
        Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 32 kb/s
    Output #0, mp4, to 'The Silence of the Lambs.mp4':
        Stream #0.0: Video: 0x0000, yuv420p, 672x362 [PAR 1:1 DAR 336:181], q=2-31, 200 kb/s, 90k tbn, 29.97 tbc
        Stream #0.1: Audio: 0x0000, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 64 kb/s
    Stream mapping:
      Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
      Stream #0.1 -> #0.1
    Unsupported codec for output stream #0.0
    jun@jun-laptop ~/Projects $
    I transcoded at least 18 flvs to mp4s the other day with only that simple command and it was a success. Now it wouldn't work and give me that error instead.

Very puzzling. Really hope to hear your advises regarding my situation.

Thanks!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Nujinini,

Does it still transcode the flv files ok? Or are they also giving you problems? If the latter, then possibly some component update has caused a problem with ffmpeg. This has happened to me and I had to either rebuild/reinstall it, or do other contortions to get it fixed. What if you try to transcode it to another output format? Same problem?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    FWIW, yours is a pretty old version of ffmpeg. I just recently rebuilt from source and it was at svn-r23640.

Hi Rubberman,

I googled around and have found this site.

Then I tried to execute this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libavcodec-unstripped-52 libavdevice-unstripped-52 libavformat-unstripped-52 libavutil-unstripped-49 libpostproc-unstripped-51 libswscale-unstripped-0
    It installed some things afterwhich I am now again able to transcode avi or flv to mp4. I think I uninstalled something during the past days while I was playing around with it.

FWIW, yours is a pretty old version of ffmpeg. I just recently rebuilt from source and it was at svn-r23640.
    It would be nice if I can update my version too. May I please ask how?

Thanks!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Quote Originally Posted by nujinini View Post
    Hi Rubberman,

I googled around and have found this site.

Then I tried to execute this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libavcodec-unstripped-52 libavdevice-unstripped-52 libavformat-unstripped-52 libavutil-unstripped-49 libpostproc-unstripped-51 libswscale-unstripped-0
    It installed some things afterwhich I am now again able to transcode avi or flv to mp4. I think I uninstalled something during the past days while I was playing around with it.

It would be nice if I can update my version too. May I please ask how?

Thanks!
    I went to the FFmpeg web site, downloaded the latest stable version source code tarball, futzed with configure, determined I needed some new support libraries that were incompatible with the ones installed on my OS (CentOS 5.5), so I installed them into /usr/local instead of via the package manager into /usr, then finished with configure, built the sources, and installed into /usr/local (default). I have to set /usr/local/lib first in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH now to run ffmpeg, but that's a small price to pay so I can run both regular video applications (kaffeine, mplayer, et al) and the latest ffmpeg. Altogether, it was a couple of hours on the weekend to sort it all out, but now I can transcode HD videos to play on my Nexus One phone...

I'm a die-hard CLI user. When I transcode I want to see what I'm doing, Avidemux is great for this.

ffmpeg is purely CLI. Best tool of its type for my time/$$ as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    ffmpeg is purely CLI. Best tool of its type for my time/$$ as far as I'm concerned.
    time/$$ is not what I had in mind. I want my outcome to be best possible, I need visual for that. Sorry for being perfectionist. Avidemux can be used from command line, too, in case you need batch processing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I went to the FFmpeg web site, downloaded the latest stable version source code tarball, futzed with configure, determined I needed some new support libraries that were incompatible with the ones installed on my OS (CentOS 5.5), so I installed them into /usr/local instead of via the package manager into /usr, then finished with configure, built the sources, and installed into /usr/local (default). I have to set /usr/local/lib first in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH now to run ffmpeg, but that's a small price to pay so I can run both regular video applications (kaffeine, mplayer, et al) and the latest ffmpeg. Altogether, it was a couple of hours on the weekend to sort it all out, but now I can transcode HD videos to play on my Nexus One phone...
    I already downloaded the latest version and extracted it in my Desktop using package manager. What would be the next step please?
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

They say if you do not need watermark use SVN version. You do not need to unpack it, and future upgrades are simple with SVN.

Code:
    mkdir work
    cd work
    svn checkout svn://svn.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg/trunk ffmpeg
    cd ffmpeg
    ./configure
    In case you want to stick with tarball ... desktop is kind of weird place for it, but choice is yours. Read the README and INSTALL, proceed as directed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast