Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Half Life 2 comes out this week and i'm kind of excited...... However, I was wondering if anyone has heard a definate on wether or not there is a linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Anyone know for sure if Half Life 2 will have a linux port?

Half Life 2 comes out this week and i'm kind of excited......

However, I was wondering if anyone has heard a definate on wether or not there is a linux port for it? If so, when will it be out?

I can't seem to find definate answers anywhere....

nothing's ever really definite... heh
    though it would be worth a shot to wine it

Linux Engineer
    Half Life 2's website has linux downloads, so I hope that means it'll be ported

that's usually a good sign

I hate to burst your bubble, guys, but unless Valve decides to change its entire business plan, the only Linux downloads you're going to find are Linux dedicated servers. I base this on Valve's past, having *never* made a Linux client but still had the gall to rely on diligent Linux users and sysadmins to run servers for their MS Windows Half-Life client. If they follow what they've done historically, it's just not going to happen.

That's not to mention that their new content delivery system, Steam, has no Linux equivalent, and is required (AFAIK) to even play the single-player game of Halflife 2. Cedega claims Steam support, but I for one am not going to support a company that has never even considered making a Linux port of even their oldest product (the original Half-Life) or any of the add-ons that it took from the community and sold (Counter-Strike).

That being said, Valve could generate some good press if they'd just *consider* a Linux port. Oh, and a reputable source tells me that the HL2 source code that was leaked a year or so ago will run in Linux.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

about that source coad that was leaked, will that play with the offical hl2 or even have all the same stuff? i never heard much about it so i dont know what it really is or even if its a compleat game. could anyone fill me in about it?
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    about that source coad that was leaked, will that play with the offical hl2 or even have all the same stuff? i never heard much about it so i dont know what it really is or even if its a compleat game. could anyone fill me in about it?
    Well, I can't speak from personal experience, since I never downloaded the *incredibly illegal* leaked source code, but I know someone who did and played with it in Linux. It was not the finished game, according to him. None of this really makes any difference however, since the cracker that stole the source code was arrested and sentenced. Not to mention I don't want to condone any illegal activities on this forum.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    well i purchased HL2 *ducks and covers* please don't hurt me, but its just a fun game.

Anyway it doesn't look like they will have a port for linux. There is nothing in the box, and the website FAQ claims nothing of the sort and doesn't even hint that there will be one.

Of course they have the linux dedicated server packages out there for linux which i agree is not right. If you are going to want people to run the servers on linux, at least make a client for linux.

ya, how much work would that take to make a linux client? you already have a majo rpart running in linux.

well i never knew they cought the guy who did it. how did they catch him and what was the sentence. also how did your friend get it to work in linux?
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    well i never knew they cought the guy who did it. how did they catch him and what was the sentence. also how did your friend get it to work in linux?
    Story 1
    Story 2

Basically the FBI and Valve won't give details, but they have him/them in custody. In an interview on TechTV's Icons, Gabe Newell hinted it was a guy in Germany.

As for how my friend got the source working in Linux, that's anybody's guess. I didn't ask.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast