Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Philips DVDr HDD PVR I believe Philips use a version of Linux as the OS. Can anyone confirm this please? I recently had a HDD failure and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Philips dvd hdd recorder

I have a Philips DVDr HDD PVR I believe Philips use a version of Linux as the OS.

Can anyone confirm this please?

I recently had a HDD failure and I am unable to format a replacement, does anyone have any knowledge of this proceedure and any helpful suggestions?

Thanks for any assisteance that may be offered.

ved

Smile

welcome in Linux
    I cant understand what is your problem ? in case of disk failure you can try live cd of any destro .
    read this http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/new...ead-first.html and any other problem post here

Just Joined!
    I think you have misunderstood the nature of my enquiry.

The equipment in question is a personal video recorder not a computer.

The software is embedded in the firmware and it is I understand a modified Linux OS.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismitch View Post
    I think you have misunderstood the nature of my enquiry.

The equipment in question is a personal video recorder not a computer.

The software is embedded in the firmware and it is I understand a modified Linux OS.
    If it is a modified version of Linux that runs the box, then the source has to be made available to you. Go on their web site to the appropriate product support page and see. You may have to dig around a bit to find out what you need to know. Also, they may have some software and/or support How-To's that will tell you how to install a new/replacement drive. One assumes it is out of warranty.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your response.

Yes the unit is out of warranty.

Unfortunately Philips attitude is that only their servcie agents can carry out any work on their manufactured units, the cost of which would pay for a new unit.

Therefore they offer no help whatsoever and their website does not include any guides or help files for this eventuality.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    So, it's a Philips, but what is the model? I'll see what I can find out, but need more details about the unit.

Just Joined!
    The model is DVDR3577H

I don't find this on the Philips US web site. The closest was DVDR3576H. It makes no mention of using Linux for the embedded OS and when I search for Linux on their site, nothing comes up for DVR or DVDR devices.