Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sorry this has probably been gone through a million times before but thought it was worth a try. I'm completely new to Ubuntu and Linux, trying to install medieval 2 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install Windows game on linux (supposedly wine compatible)

Sorry this has probably been gone through a million times before but thought it was worth a try. I'm completely new to Ubuntu and Linux, trying to install medieval 2 total war onto my laptop after my vista was wiped (long story). After some research, I tried Cedega, however every time I try to begin installation it displays an error message, seems to be common problem. I then moved on to wine, which is also compatible (but hasnt been install tested.
    However as I've learned, in order to open .exe files permission needs to changed (I did this to get spotify to install), but it cannot be done with a disk as its read only file (any way I could change that?).
    Finally I tried copying over the two disks and installing from the HDD, which works in theory but cannot pick up the DVD in the drive (I tried a no CD crack but to no avail).

Any ideas or help would be appreciated... Oh also, I understand the best way to play it would be by a windows partition, or copying over the entire game from windows, but would have to wait a couple of weeks, and i'm impatient!

ved
    Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wise.
    New Users : Read This First

Just Joined!
    No-crack patches for Linux are hard to find but i hope u can find what u want..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Try running the game on Wine, if it uses OpenGL i think it will run fine.

Linux Newbie
    A trick I found for one of my games (Oblivion) is to make an ISO of the disc, mount the ISO in Linux, and map the mount-point in Wine as an optical drive. This even works for games that disallow virtual drives, since it's got no clue about such things in the Wine environment. This means taking up a considerable amount of HDD space, but from the sounds of it that's not such a bad thing in your situation.