Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an Acer Aspire 5300, running Ubuntu 10.04 and a Slimtype DVDRW drive. The only media that will work in this drive are the ones that have "RW" on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need DVD media help -what does this mean?

I have an Acer Aspire 5300, running Ubuntu 10.04 and a Slimtype DVDRW drive. The only media that will work in this drive are the ones that have "RW" on the disc, like so:

Since "You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more.", if you go to photobucket.com and look in akwusmc's album, you'll find the pic labeled 'dvd-media.png' and see what I'm talking about.

I've looked on the internets, and I can't find any reference about what the "RW" means. As usual, any help is appreciated!

Anthony

RW means Read/Write, as opposed to read-only, and in this case, rewritable. Standard DVD/CD media can only be written to once, but DVDRW media can be erased and rewritten.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Actually, a DVDRW device should read and write to DVD-RW as well as either (or both) DVD-R or DVD+R discs. The DVD-R and DVD+R discs are both write-once media. Most drives these days will handle either type (DVD+R have better error handling) as well as DVD-RW. So, why do you say that it only works with DVD-RW media? Have you tried the others? You can pick up a DVD-R disc at your local Best Buy or Office Max and try it.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

rubberman is correct standard dvdrw drives will read any disc except blueray

but in linux in order to play a commercial dvd movie you may have to download the libdvdcss files and other codecs

Just Joined!
    Try reinstalling your motherboard chipset drivers, as I think your IDE drivers got corrupted. After that before restarting, delete the devices from your computer and let Windows find them once again upon reboot.

he is using ubuntu on his acer
    there is an issue here that doesn't make sense
    he should try an audio cd , if his media player is working and audio configured correctly and he hears music, than the drive is working correctly

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by akwusmc View Post
    The only media that will work in this drive are the ones that have "RW" on the disc, like so:
    Why do you say this? What have you tried?

Just Joined!
    I need to explain further (and remember, a picture is worth a 1000 words!)

[IMG]file:///home/anthony/Desktop/dvd-media.png[/IMG] (if this pic doesn't show up, then please go to photobucket and look in akwusmc'c album for the pic)

In text, this is what's written on a dvd disc that works:

DVD+R
    120min/4.7GB
    ACCUCORE
    RW

It's the last "RW" that I'm trying to find out about because some media has it, and some doesn't. The media that has it, works; the media that doesn't, doesn't.

I've tried to write with Gnomebaker and with Brasero .... no go without the "RW".

TIA

I'm not sure. The DVD+R means that it is a recordable (write once) DVD media. If it said DVD+RW it would mean that it is a re-writable media (can erase and re-record more than once). I have had experience with CD/DVD recorders that wouldn't work with certain media, which is why I generally try and stay with a major brand such as Verbatim, etc. All in all, from your thread entries here, I have to think that the problem has been with you using brand-x media that your burner is not compatible with.

I looked at the picture at Photo Bucket.
    That RW is a logo.

Some good info such as the following can be found in the link below.

The RW logo is a branding and advertising logo, the DVD forum logos are to
    show compliance to the specification and that a license is owned by the
    manufacturer to support that format, which is why they have one for each
    type of disc.
    Memorex +R has the RW logo, and they aren't RW?

Most likely the DVD's you have without the RW logo are off-brand DVD's that do not adhere to the specifications of the DVD manufacturers.

Hope this clears up the confusion because that RW logo has caused more then one person to think it was re-writable.