Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm having trouble getting any sound when playing DVDs and CDs, and streaming live radio off the Internet. However, I do get good sound on Ekiga Softphone, a voice ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

[SOLVED] No Sound on DVDs, CDs, and Streaming

Hi, I'm having trouble getting any sound when playing DVDs and CDs, and streaming live radio off the Internet. However, I do get good sound on Ekiga Softphone, a voice over Internet program. Can anyone tell me what the problem might be?

I've got Alsa Mixer, but I'm not sure the system is using it. Thank you much.

Jim

Linux Newbie
    VLC Media player used to work fine when playing DVDs. Now I can't get any sound. I went into Tools / Settings / Advanced Audio Settings and changed Audio Output Modules from File to Alsa, then selected my sound card, but still no audio. Anybody got any ideas on what might be wrong?

Linux Newbie

Amarok has very weak sound

Amarok music player has sound, but it's very weak. I tried adjusting Alsamixer and turned on the equalizer in Amarok, I also tried adjusting Sound in System Preferences, but no luck on any of those. Does anybody have any ideas on this one? Is there some other way to adjust the sound system wide?

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04. Thanks much.
    Last edited by jimtyler; 11-02-2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Had wrong music player

What kind of Laptop or Desktop jimtyler? Usually alsamixer will control sound system wide. You might have to update audio driver for alsa but can't point you in the right direction till we know your gear. Be specific as possible.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie
    Hi rokytnji,

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for my slow reply. For some mysterious reason, I seem to be getting sound on all my programs now. Maybe it needed a re-boot after one of my adjustments. Thanks for your offer of help.