Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to install this game on Mandrake? I saw a GNU/Linux distro running UT, but i didn't get the chance too see how it was installed, the version ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unreal Tournament for Mandrake

Is it possible to install this game on Mandrake?

I saw a GNU/Linux distro running UT, but i didn't get the chance too see how it was installed, the version of the distro nor the UT version. All i got too see is how good it ran, of course, the computer was a monster too. Is there a way to get this game? I have found no info elsewhere. Half life 2 also. Any info on this games for linux i could use. Thanks a lot. :P

The original Unreal Tournament can be installed on Linux using the Win32 CDROM and an install script that can be found here:

http://www.princessleia.com/UT2.html

As for UT2003 and UT2004, there is a Linux installer on the actual game discs, Disc 3 for UT2003 and Disc 1 for UT2004. You'll need to copy the "installer.sh" file (or whatever it's called) onto your local machine and run it from there otherwise you'll get CD mounting issues.

As for Halflife 2, Valve has never made a Linux version of any of their games, even though it's perfectly happy to whore out Linux dedicated servers for its MS Windows players. I for one refuse to buy their products on that fact alone, but their new "Steam" engine is big brother at its best. I've heard Cedega 4.1 runs Steam passably, but you won't get any help from me on that game.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Ok thanks, i read there that those steps are used on RH and Slackware, but it seems to be the same for mandrake. If not, please warn me about any differences. I have been barely through Red Hat but haven't had the chance to use Slackware.

The file is just a generic shell script, so you shouldn't have any trouble installing it. The X problem described only applied to those Linux distros as far as I know. I've had no trouble on any of my systems, but if you run into something let me know.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I posted on the peripherals/hardware section a doubt about my nvidia video card. I believe i must resolve this issue before even trying to install the game, shouldn't I? As far as i recall, i don't think it's being used to it's max potencial, so of course the game maybe lagging or maybe won't even load up. My computer description i'm gonna mention here, so maybe you can tell me if i have what it takes to run this games i inquired about.

Intel P4 1.9 Ghz
    256 RIMM
    Gforce 4 64 MB video card

The NVidia issue has been solved. Really easy, wrong config file i was editing. Jejeje. I donwloaded that installer, but now i have to download the actuall cdroms that have the game files. Where can i get the cds, or am i attempting to make an ilegal move here? You know, like using limewire to download the entire game?

Quote Originally Posted by sheds
    I donwloaded that installer, but now i have to download the actuall cdroms that have the game files. Where can i get the cds, or am i attempting to make an ilegal move here? You know, like using limewire to download the entire game?
    Yes, that's illegal. In order to install UT, UT2003 or UT2004 you need to *purchase* the MS Windows versions of the CDs, and as I said in my previous post, the Linux installers are already on them (for UT2003/2004). Downloading the game CDs is very much illegal. The upside is that you can usually find UT2003 and 2004 for under $20USD these days, sometimes under $10USD at stores like Half Price Books.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants