Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have some scripts that will change my playlists according to the time of the day, more relaxing tunes at night, more energic ones by the morning, and all styles ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Question Is there a software that guesses the pace of music files accurately?

I have some scripts that will change my playlists according to the time of the day, more relaxing tunes at night, more energic ones by the morning, and all styles in between.

So far so good, but I have to go on adding the songs accordingly to its playlist. Not that it's too hard, I've created a few shortcuts for that too, but I was wondering if it couldn't be made even faster by some software that somehow guesses (not by reading tags, though) the music pace or even style, and then creates playlists accordingly.

That would also make easier to solve the question of how to handle different playlists for different CDs or DVDs, probably.

So, anyone knows of such program? Thanks.
    Openbox + tint2 desktop. Debian testing, liquorix kernel

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Sounds like a task for an AI program! You need software that can analyze the music and determine what category it belongs in - not a simple task. "Sounds" like a project for some enterprising PhD student at the MIT Media Center!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    Wow, I thought it was something more banal, a feature of some of the most robust players, or perhaps software targeted to creating playlists, and I just didn't know how this "task" was commonly called.

I guess I'll have to do it by the less lazy way then, until the MIT guys catch up with my ideas for making lazyness easier. Thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    That isn't to say such software doesn't exist. Try some google searches, if you haven't already.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    I had tried, but I tried again after thinking about different possible terms/expressions.

Things I've found:

Mood Player Sorts Music By Moods, Blends Images To Music Rhythms

Melancholic songs, dance rhythms or romantic background music? The mood player can recognize musical characteristics and sort songs according to moods. It also blends in suitable images to the rhythm of the music. [...]

Mood Player Sorts Music By Moods, Blends Images To Music Rhythms

And, more relevant to linux:

Shuffle your music the smart way

[...] IMMS also learns which songs should be played together and which should not. It does so by both watching and learning from the user, and performing acoustic analysis on the actual songs to determine their tempo and spectral "color," and then attempts to group more similar songs together. [...]

Linux.com :: Shuffle your music the smart way