Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I am facing issues playing Youtube videos on my Linux system. I have installed RHEL 5.5 (x64) edition. The browsers I have are Firefox and Opera. However, on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy [SOLVED] Unable to play Youtube Videos

Hi All,

I am facing issues playing Youtube videos on my Linux system. I have installed RHEL 5.5 (x64) edition. The browsers I have are Firefox and Opera. However, on both browsers I am unable to watch Youtube videos and Metacafe Videos. The message I get is that Shockwave player is needed. I went to the Adobe Download site and installed the RPM package and installed it. However, till now after installation of Shockwave/Macromedia Flash Player, I am unable to watch the videos.

Could someone assist me with this please?

Thanks & Regards
    Anupam Kumar

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Assuming you have rebooted your system, the question is whether or not you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Firefox? You should be using the 32-bit version, even on an x86_64 version of RHEL. Also, install the 32-bit version of Adobe flash plugin. Using the 64-bit version of Firefox doesn't work nicely with flash, and 64-bit flash has had problems, though I think they have recently re-released it. Not sure - don't use it. I have 64-bit CentOS (RHEL by another name) 5.5 w/ 32-bit Firefox and 32-bit flash and it works just fine. Can't speak about opera since I don't use it.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I tried to work with the solution, that is, install the 32 bit version of Flash and also tried it on Centos (x64) version. Still facing the same issue. Now I have tried with both 32 bit version and 64 bit version of Flash Player but I am still not able to get video playback. On Mozilla it says that Shockwave Player is required. Is Shockwave Player and Flash Player different? If I do a Google search it gets me to the same Adobe Download Page. Please assist. Thanks in advance for your assistance on this.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, I have the Shockwave Flash plugin installed in my 32-bit Firefox, so that must be it. I used the Firefox Tools->Add-Ons->Get Add-ons to download and install it directly.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I resolved the issue. I did the following to resolve the issue. I opened a Mozilla Firefox Window and then Tools>Add-ons>Get Add-ons>Amazing Media Browser 0.27 . This Add-on resolved my issue and upon restarting Firefox I am able to play Youtube videos. Thanks a ton, Rubberman for your help on this.