Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all I would like to transfer some movies to my external hard drive using my laptop dvd drive what programs should I use.. Thanks Terry Ubuntu 10.04...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile transfer/copy movie

Hi all I would like to transfer some movies to my external hard drive using my laptop dvd drive what programs should I use..

Thanks

Terry

Ubuntu 10.04

Quote Originally Posted by brotell View Post
    Hi all I would like to transfer some movies to my external hard drive using my laptop dvd drive what programs should I use..

Thanks

Terry

Ubuntu 10.04
    You don't say what your selection criteria is so hard to say. Perhaps find command coupled with rsync or maybe just rsync.

Are you talking about backing up a DVD?

You can just use Brasero to make a copy of the DVD.

Or you can use a command line tool like dvdbackup.

Just Joined!
    Sorry about the confusion I should have said that I have the dvd but all I want to do is put a copy on my external hard drive so I can take it with me and not have to carry all the DVD'S.

TERRY

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ok. There are several steps here, but easy enough to do - all you really need is disc space! Anyway, I do this all the time so I don't have to haul dvd's on trips with me.

1. Make sure you have dvdbackup and libdvdcss installed on your system.
    2. Backup dvd to a disc directory such as ~/Videos/DVDname using the dvdbackup program - instructions follow.
    3. Tell your media player (mplayer, vlc, kaffeine, etc) to play from a directory, and point it to ~/Videos/DVDname, or wherever you put the backup.
    4. Have fun!

Code to backup DVD. Assume DVD is installed in DVD player that is identified as /dev/hda:
    Code:
    dvdbackup --input=/dev/hda --output=~/Videos/DVDname --mirror
    You do not need to be root or sudo to do this as long as the output directory is writeable to you. It will usually create at least two subdirectories, AUDIO_TS (usually empty) and VIDEO_TS (where the movie files are). Sometimes there are other things there, such as photos, extra audio files, URL's for web access to video fan sites, etc. The --mirror option will backup the disc in its entirety, including all this extra cruft. If you JUST want the main feature, then use the --feature option instead of --mirror. Clear enough?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!