Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi new to this but I need to canceled my tv and i would like to watch tv on line but when i go to hulu it not as good ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

watching tv on linux

hi new to this but I need to canceled my tv and i would like to watch tv on line but when i go to hulu it not as good as i thought it will be is their a better place too watch tv online that won't take a lot of time to buff
    thank you for your time
    Santi

Just Joined!
    You could try out ivi.tv

4.99 a month and a cross platform client.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    My daughter and her family swear by Netflix online service. It works very well for them. Good resolution, no stutter (except when I was downloading complete disc images at the same time they were watching! Buth then they have a slow DSL connection...), lots of choice of old and current shows, plus movies. I think they pay less than $10 USD / month for the basic service.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Good resolution, no stutter (except when I was downloading complete disc images at the same time they were watching!
    I can confirm this...

I think they pay less than $10 USD / month for the basic service.
    $7.99/Month for the online streaming only package.

I would have mentioned Netflix in my earlier reply, however, Netflix is not linux friendly. The only reason we have it, is because we can stream effortlessly through our Wii.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by chadfluegge View Post
    I can confirm this...

$7.99/Month for the online streaming only package.

I would have mentioned Netflix in my earlier reply, however, Netflix is not linux friendly. The only reason we have it, is because we can stream effortlessly through our Wii.
    That's what they do! Stream through their Wii! I think that the need for Netflix to prevent capture of the streams and/or requirement for DRM (which the Wii supports) are the reasons for the anti-Linux situation. Oh well. I think you can get a Wii for about $100 USD, which is pretty cheap, considering.

Just Joined!
    hehe...quite the coincedence...

If you're gonna' get a Wii, fine...but don't get it on account of Netflix streaming.

If you have the $100, you may as well purchase a blue-ray player that has internet connectivity. Then you'll be able to play Netflix, Vudu, etc...

Oh, I just read an article somewhere, where Hulu and Netflix are rumored to be coming to the Droid...if so, that's one step closer to the linux desktop...

Kewl! Now, I can turn my phone into a TV! LOL!

Anyway, if it weren't for Sony getting a cut of every blu-ray player and disc out there, I'd buy one. Since the CD root-kit fiasco I have been boycotting Sony products.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by santi1031 View Post
    i would like to watch tv on line but when i go to hulu it not as good as i thought it will be is their a better place too watch tv online that won't take a lot of time to buff
    Netflix is beginning to get a pretty good listing of movies and TV shows for instant viewing, but if your internet connection is lacking in some way, your streaming effort might not provide the performance that you want.

My LG Blu-ray player came with the Netflix streaming option but my ISP sometimes craps out thereby giving poor results. In addition to that, Netflix sometimes removes some of their offerings that are available with instant streaming, so you don't really know just how long they will be available to you.

Of course, watching on your Netflix streaming capable device isn't really watching with Linux, either, although I've heard that Netflix will be available for Linux at some point in the future.
    oz

Myself, I have a premium Usenet account (giganews) and download the TV shows I want from there. Since there isn't a lot that rocks my boat these days, mostly I like to download old shows (Gene Autry, Flash Gordon, etc), and some of the better new SciFi stuff that comes out (Merlin, Legend of the Seeker, Dr. Who). I download them onto one of my discs and can then stream it either to my monitor or TV (if my wife wants to see it). If it's something I want to keep, then I can burn them to a DVD. Most I get in 720p / ac3 format, so the resulting DVD is very high quality. Heck, I downloaded the Xmas Doctor Who in 720p (about 1.5GB) and shipped if off over the internet to my brother-in-law and his wife in Portland so they could watch it!