Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to build a lightweight linux box for serving up files and media. I am pretty set on my hardware but have some decisions to make else where. For ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Building a file server/HTPC

I want to build a lightweight linux box for serving up files and media. I am pretty set on my hardware but have some decisions to make else where. For example, should I stream media, or just make the files available via NFS or Samba? I am guessing that if I choose to stream I will need a beefier CPU, as opposed to say, an atom. I will be accessing the server via a laptop running win7/ubuntu and a win7 desktop. I plan to use ubuntu for the server since that is what I am most familiar with. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    An Atom CPU (or even an ARM) should stream just fine. Network bandwidth and efficiency is the main issue here. I can stream HD video from a 100mbps NAS connection without problems.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Do you think an Atom would be able to stream HD content (in reality, I will probably use the HDMI out on the mobo)? I really want the Atom because of the low power consumption but just not sure if it would be up to that task. Thank you for the reply!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I also plan to use this to stream Netflix HD someday (once it works in Linux).
    Last edited by foxcar; 03-07-2011 at 08:43 PM.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    For streaming media? Either an Atom or ARM at 200MHz or faster will do just fine! The advantage of the Atom is that it will run 32-bit x86 software without recompiling.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Alright, so after doing some more research, it looks like the atom with the Nvidia ION graphics should play HD fine. I was going to install ubuntu server but than I wouldn't be able to watch Netflix. I'm thinking of going with either Xubuntu or Ubuntu netbook to conserve resources. Or maybe I will just install a GUI with Ubuntu server.