Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to play high-end Microsoft games when using Windows XP on Virtualbox, hosted by Linux(any distribution)? I installed the guest editions and 3d support. I tried to play ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Playing high-end M$ games with Windows on Virtualbox

Is it possible to play high-end Microsoft games when using Windows XP on Virtualbox, hosted by Linux(any distribution)?
    • I installed the guest editions and 3d support.
    • I tried to play for example, Morrowind, but after the intro video, it aborts Virtualbox.
    Is there a way to use the actual hardware on my computer when using Windows XP on Virtualbox, hosted by Linux(any distribution)?

NOTE:
    I would ask that the replies on this thread to be specific and revealant about my questions above and to NOT contain suggestions or information about using Windows via dual booting or via Wine software.

If anyone has any experiences that they would like to share about installing Windows games (successful or not) on Virtualbox via Linux, please reply! Thanks!
    Last edited by nguill00; 03-12-2011 at 05:07 AM.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    My Answers:

1. Maybe
    2. Depends
    3. Don't know

I use VirtualBox for XP, but don't run games. I can run full-motion, HD video ok on it. VBox can run 2d and 3d graphics if you have the correct Linux video drivers installed (for nVidia that means the nVidia proprietary driver). However, you also have to install the Guest Additions drivers to Windows so it can get better access to the video hardware. Also, give it as much video ram as it allows, as much RAM as you can afford (at least 2 GB), and as many processor cores as you can (probably 2+ for games would be wise).

So, in the final analysis, either it works ok, or it doesn't! For gaming, try to configure your VM as you would your physical hardware if you were going to game directly on that. I have an 8GB, 8 core system, so giving up a couple of GB RAM and 2 cores isn't a major problem. I also have dual HD monitors, so I can still use one while XP runs on the other.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    My Answers:

1. Maybe
    2. Depends
    3. Don't know

I use VirtualBox for XP, but don't run games. I can run full-motion, HD video ok on it. VBox can run 2d and 3d graphics if you have the correct Linux video drivers installed (for nVidia that means the nVidia proprietary driver). However, you also have to install the Guest Additions drivers to Windows so it can get better access to the video hardware. Also, give it as much video ram as it allows, as much RAM as you can afford (at least 2 GB), and as many processor cores as you can (probably 2+ for games would be wise).

So, in the final analysis, either it works ok, or it doesn't! For gaming, try to configure your VM as you would your physical hardware if you were going to game directly on that. I have an 8GB, 8 core system, so giving up a couple of GB RAM and 2 cores isn't a major problem. I also have dual HD monitors, so I can still use one while XP runs on the other.
    My test subject was a dual core Dell laptop. The test was to run Morrowind on Windows XP on Virtualbox via Ubuntu 10.10.

• Proprietary drivers installed
    • Guest Additions installed
    • Ran maximum allowed video memory, RAM, and CPU

• DirectX = pass
    • Installation = pass
    • Configuration of the video resolution= pass
    • Execution of Morrowind = fail (after the Title Video)

Thanks for the reply Rubberman!

Any more knowledge and/or experiences anyone?
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

$spacer_open
$spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What (if any) error messages did you get?

Virtualbox aborted XP and closed its window immediately after the Morrowind video introduction. It didn't show any errors or dialog boxes.

Is there a way to show an error log or output to see what is causing it to abort?

To see the VBox log for the VM, open the VBox management UI, highlight the VM entry you used, then open the Machine->Show Log... menu entry. There should be something at the bottom of the log as to what it thinks happened. From what you describe, the game was doing something wonky (good technical term that) with the VM "hardware" that VBox didn't like.

Also, in the System->Motherboard setup screen for your VM, make sure the "Enable IO APIC" is enabled, and in the System->Acceleration screen enable the "Enable VT-x/AMD-V" option. When you do that, you need to be sure those capabilities are available and enabled in your read hardware BIOS - the hardware-level virtual machine support.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    To see the VBox log for the VM, open the VBox management UI, highlight the VM entry you used, then open the Machine->Show Log... menu entry. There should be something at the bottom of the log as to what it thinks happened. From what you describe, the game was doing something wonky (good technical term that) with the VM "hardware" that VBox didn't like.

Also, in the System->Motherboard setup screen for your VM, make sure the "Enable IO APIC" is enabled, and in the System->Acceleration screen enable the "Enable VT-x/AMD-V" option. When you do that, you need to be sure those capabilities are available and enabled in your read hardware BIOS - the hardware-level virtual machine support.
    I'll try this when I get home tonight...my work schedule has been wonky
    Thanks again rubberman!

I know there used to be a program that made it easier to play Windows games in Linux. I think it had Crossover in the title. If it's still around, you should look into it.

Just Joined!
    I tried to do the same thing with warcraft III (And old game), and dont works.

I have tried vmware and virtualbox, and to tell you the truth, wine does a MUCH better job of running the games than either of those did.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry