Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Everyone, I currently have one set of 3 speakers which plug into the standard line-out (green) plug in my integrated audio. I want to plug in another set of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Change Line-In to Line-Out

Hi Everyone,

I currently have one set of 3 speakers which plug into the standard line-out (green) plug in my integrated audio. I want to plug in another set of standard speakers into my line-in plug (blue) and have sound come out of them as well. Under windows (it is dual boot), I can use the integrated sound manager to easily switch the line-out to be part of the surround sound, but in Linux I have failed to find any easy answers. I am not an audiophile, so I could really care less if it was true surround or some sort of down-mixed audio emanating from them.

In essence, does anyone know how to get the Line-In jack to be a line-out jack via the software end?

Let me know what sort of kernel, mixer, or configuration you may need. I hesitate to list anything since I honestly am stuck to the point of not knowing what should be important for this.

Note: My card reads out as a standard AC97:
    Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 AC97 Audio Controller (rev a2)

Thanks!
    Linux since: 2001
    Gentoo since: 2004
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:
    I fix things until they break.

Just Joined!
    Have you tryed to check your sounf card drivers?