Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I purchased Trainsignal's CompTIA Linux + Training DVD set. The only problem is I can't seem to play the .avi files from my Redhat system. When Totem Movie Player starts ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

playing avi files in redhat

I purchased Trainsignal's CompTIA Linux + Training DVD set. The only problem is I can't seem to play the .avi files from my Redhat system. When Totem Movie Player starts it says I need "TechSmith Camtasia". How do I get this. I've also tried VLC but it doesn't seem to work for RH.

Linux User
    You need to add the rpmfusion repository.
    Have a look at:
    Configuration - RPM Fusion
    You should then be able to install the necessary gstreamer/vlc codecs from there.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What version of Red Hat are you running? I have had zero problems playing just about all video formats from RHEL 5 and up. I am now on 6 and still no problems. I use VLC and Kaffeine mostly.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    FWIW, just to clarify, AVI is a wrapper for a variety of video formats such as mpeg4, etc. It simply stands for Audio Video Interleave, which means that the audio and video channels are interleaved, with some sync points so that the audio is synchronized with the video. Anyway, try installing the VLC media player. It will handle just about any format, and has built-in codecs for same.

Yeah, you can never go wrong (most of the time) with VLC. It's pretty lightweight and it will play just about any video or audio format out there. Just make sure to tell it to play from your DVD drive and not the .iso itself.

Quote Originally Posted by adamchronister8 View Post
    Yeah, you can never go wrong (most of the time) with VLC. It's pretty lightweight and it will play just about any video or audio format out there. Just make sure to tell it to play from your DVD drive and not the .iso itself.
    It will happily play from the .iso image as well. I do it all the time.

Linux Newbie

Rh 6

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    It will happily play from the .iso image as well. I do it all the time.
    I'M using RH 6. Thus far I have been unable to install VLC, there doesn't seem to be a version for RH 6. Also, I can't get my RH 6 Add/Remove programs to work the way it does in Ubuntu. On my RH 6 system it seems to only search for programs already installed.

VLC is in the atrpms repository, not the default Red Hat ones. I am attaching a copy of the atrpms repo file that you can install in /etc/yum.repos.d to get that stuff. I am running SL6, which is a clone of RH6. I am including in the tarball the epel repositories as well. Copy the file (as root) into /etc/yum.repos.d and run the command: tar -zxf repos.tar.gz
    That will extract the two repo files that you need.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Linux Newbie

tar

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    VLC is in the atrpms repository, not the default Red Hat ones. I am attaching a copy of the atrpms repo file that you can install in /etc/yum.repos.d to get that stuff. I am running SL6, which is a clone of RH6. I am including in the tarball the epel repositories as well. Copy the file (as root) into /etc/yum.repos.d and run the command: tar -zxf repos.tar.gz
    That will extract the two repo files that you need.
    I got the two files into the directory but now I'M getting this when I try to run the tar command.

Code:
    [root@RedhatPart Garrett]# cd /etc/yum.repos.d
    [root@RedhatPart yum.repos.d]# tar -zxf repos.tar.gz
    tar (child): repos.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    [root@RedhatPart yum.repos.d]#

Are you sure the repos.tar.gz file that you downloaded is in /etc/yum.repos.d where you cd'ed to?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast