Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ok, a lot of games nowadays use d3d for the 3d rendering. realy the last major game that used opengl was mohaa. before that it was probobly quale 3. so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

DirectX >< openGL?

ok, a lot of games nowadays use d3d for the 3d rendering. realy the last major game that used opengl was mohaa. before that it was probobly quale 3. so why is that? you would think that they would use opengl because of its muli-platfor capabilities but they dont. is d3d easier to program or better or something like that? persoaly all the games that use opengl are some of the best to me.

ALL games for windows use directx for sound and input and the like. why not SDL? SDL is multi paltform so it would obvously be easier to use it for those things.

another example is that ut 2002 uses directx for the windows port and switches to SDL and openGL for the linux ports. why do such a thing? it would probpbly be a little easier for programers to make thing multi-platorm by simply changing form directx to SDL and openGL right?
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Linux Engineer
    **Moved to Multimedia from Misc
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

so this is where it goes, i felt like it was kind of a misfit question but ok.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Re: DirectX >< openGL?

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    another example is that ut 2002 uses directx for the windows port and switches to SDL and openGL for the linux ports. why do such a thing? it would probpbly be a little easier for programers to make thing multi-platorm by simply changing form directx to SDL and openGL right?
    Well, DirectX is made by Microsoft for Microsoft... (it's only developed for windows, guess why...)

Also, afaik Atai outsources the development of the linux port of UT to Loki Games. Also, ut2004 uses OpenAl for the sound.

d3d easier to program? (I'd hardly say that...also, d3d is for windows only, so you get the whole windows shebang with it...)
    DirectX uses COM (component obejct model) as it's internal structure, which to make things short and understandable for most, is a "slow" calling method that allows for some "future compabillity" -- COM is not for the fain of heart, and IMO beeing a lowlevel geek, pointer-tables-of-pointers-to... something which really isn't easy to work with (unless you do it in C++ (which handles this in a sort of 'class' way) and got a strong heart)

I think OpenGL and DirectX to some extent make use of the same hardware features - thye just call it different things.
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

whats openAI?

ok so directx isnt realy much more easier to use and isnt faster so WHY WOULD SO MANY COMPANIES USE IT?

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    whats openAI?

ok so directx isnt realy much more easier to use and isnt faster so WHY WOULD SO MANY COMPANIES USE IT?
    please DON'T SHOUT!!!! (I already got a little head ace from this cold I've caught )

first OpenAL is, quoting from http://www.openal.org/, OpenAL is a cross-platform 3D audio API appropriate for use with gaming applications and many other types of audio applications.

Why? well, why do people use windows? The answser I belive is that not too many know any alternatives, and when writing stuff for windows, to be honest, DirectX is more likeley to continue to work with the next version/"service pack" of windows than for instance an open source project ("for some odd reason many got a feeling that the makers of windows isn't too happy about 3rd party stuff..."). Personally I prefer OpenGL as it's nice, though, it's a little slower than DX in total, but the trade of is much better graphics
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Linux Engineer
    because M$ tells them to.. maybe M$ lets them in on some of the hidden Windows API's if they use D3D instead of OpenGL... who knows...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    hidden Windows API's
    could be documentation about those "undocumented" API functions... (I remember reading intel had some golden book on some of the now 'classic' CPUs they gave it to special customers, it was documentation on some "hidden"/"undocumented" features/instructions)
    --

Linux Engineer
    oh, how i long for a computing world of nothing but open standards and cooperation... oh, and world peace would be nice, too...

i blame the comies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast