Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
When I first installed Fedora on my laptop, the sound worked fine. Recently, it's stopped working. If I open up the sound settings, it doesn't list any sound cards/output devices. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Sound output stopped working?

When I first installed Fedora on my laptop, the sound worked fine. Recently, it's stopped working.

If I open up the sound settings, it doesn't list any sound cards/output devices.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I'm using a thinkpad edge 15.

Finally found an output - looks like pulseaudio is the problem...

Code:
    ALSA lib pulse.c:229:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused
    That's from Trine, and VLC gives the same output if I try to play any audio (though it still plays the file, but doesn't output any sound).

Strangely enough, I can still play audio through Opera - Youtube works just fine.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    There is a bug in the newer ALSA libraries that disables sound in alsa-using applications if another application is already using sound. Likewise, if ALSA is in use, pulse audio applications wont' work. Multiple ALSA applications - no. Multiple pulse applications - yes. Pulse + ALSA - no. I've posted this bug to the ALSA bug site, but no response yet, other than some other folks reporting the same problem. So, since YouTube plugins (flash, et al) use ALSA in Firefox and Chrome, to use them I have to disable my VLC audio stream (stop, not mute), then refresh the web page w/ video before I play it. When I stop the video, I have to either refresh the page, or close it, before I can resume streaming VLC audio, or play other Pulse-enable applications.

So, although pulse audio shows the problem (I had the same error message), the problem is with ALSA, not with Pulse. ALSA seems to lock the audio port so no other application can use it, AND it wants exclusive access to the audio output device. Fortunately, most applications are either pulse-enabled, or can be made so with a configuration change (VirtualBox VM's, and Skype, for instance).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Okay, so what on my system could be using ALSA before I even load any programs myself? When I log into KDE, it says the the multimedia output isn't responding, but logging into GNOME doesn't solve the problem...

I know the sound on the login screen though, could it be something to do with that?
    And could I disable audio in FF/Opera? I don't really care about being able to watch videos online, I can always download or stream with something else on the off-chance I want to watch something...

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    A quick list of what you have running would be helpful.

Ah, sorry, should've thought of that ^_^;

I ran ps aux and attached the output.
    The only programs I started myself at the time were Opera and the GNOME system monitor, but I know there's stuff like yum and the wifi and bluetooth modules running as well...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Well, a quick 2 minute look tells me that you aren't running any services or applications that should cause this problem. Since YouTube and Opera still output sounds, then ALSA is working. Other stuff may be using Pulse Audio, so that may be the problem. You can try reinstalling the Pulse Audio drivers and libraries and see if that works. At this point, I am out of ideas. I know that occasionally my audio system gets wonky, such as being unable to activate my bluetooth headset. In such cases, I usually need to reboot the system (yech!), but that does resolve the problem. Not sure if you have tried that or not...

Uninstall them through the repos and reinstall them?

And yeah, I've rebooted quite a few times since then - I have to use Windows for some stuff and I don't keep my laptop on all the time anyway ^_^;

If all else fails, what're the chances it'd be fixed if I just installed Fedora 15 when it's released? I've not got much on this installation atm, so it wouldn't really be much of a pain...

You can reinstall packages on Red Hat distributions with this command: yum reinstall <package-name>

No, that didn't work

Since I didn't post it before, the full output from VLC when I try to play a file:

Code:
    [0x91e1314] signals interface error: signal 17 overriden (0x1cd68c0)
    [0x91e1314] signals interface error:  /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4(?)[(nil)]
    Home directory /home/<user> not ours.
    ALSA lib pulse.c:229:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused

[0xb7404494] oss audio output error: cannot open audio device (/dev/dsp)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast