Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I cant stream divx videos in full screen. The video caches and plays but on full screening it remains the same size and does not fill up the screen. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cant stream full screen divx videos on ubuntu 10.10

Hi,

I cant stream divx videos in full screen. The video caches and plays but on full screening it remains the same size and does not fill up the screen.

I am using Ubuntu 10.10. I have the gecko-mediaplayer plugin installed and have tried using both firefox and opera

Ive tried to change the mplayer.conf file to say xo=xv
    but that didn't work, I just ended up with no video and just sound

I think it has something to do with my video card. Here are my lspci results

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82852/82855 GM/GME/PM/GMV Processor to I/O Controller (rev 02)
    00:00.1 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 82852/82855 GM/GME/PM/GMV Processor to I/O Controller (rev 02)
    00:00.3 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 82852/82855 GM/GME/PM/GMV Processor to I/O Controller (rev 02)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 83)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) IDE Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)
    02:01.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1410 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 02)
    02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
    02:04.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection (rev 05)

I had a similar issue awhile back. Just for giggles, when you full screen the video......minimize the browser window. For some reason the videos full screened behind the browser. If it doesn't work, we can try something else.
    Did you have the correct driver installed for your video card? Try this command and post your results.
    Code:
    cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf |grep -i driver
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

The same thing happened to me for a while when I had Fedora 12 going on my desktop.
    I never could find a reason for it. But, like Mike said, the full video was hiding behind the browser.
    At some point, though, it 'fixed itself' during a system update. So I'm guessing I just had a slightly older driver running.

BTW, the xorg.conf does not exist by default any more in Ubuntu. You CAN create one though, if need be.
    Boot into recovery mode and select Root Shell. Then run:
    Code:
    X -configure
    cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    After a reboot, you should be able to check.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for your prompt replies. I posted this while I was trouble shooting my sisters computer. I only just remembered I had it under my name. I apologize for the long wait.

I have no way of checking the computer. But I would just like to edit the main problem. When I say that the screen remains the same size, I mean to say that the screen does get filled, with most of it being dark. Where the avi file remains the same size within the black full screen

The problem you think I have described has happened to me personally, and it somehow fixed itself. It was also a hit or miss problem. B

So... a full screen media player, but a small sized video playing within it?

Without a chance to check the computer, I can think of 2 things off hand:

1) Update your media player and browser.

2) Look at your settings for video resolution in the video player.

Let us know if that helps. If not, maybe a screenshot of what you're looking at.