Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi everyone, I wonder what the best distribution to develop games and language . I have a ubuntu, thanks!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question What is the best distribution to develop games? and language?

Hi everyone, I wonder what the best distribution to develop games and language . I have a ubuntu, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by skyplane View Post
    Hi everyone, I wonder what the best distribution to develop games and language . I have a ubuntu, thanks!
    Ubuntu is fine for both. I prefer Fedora, but that's just me.

Linux User

How well does Ubuntu work with "Wine"?

Ubuntu makes a real effort to bring Linux to ordinary home-users, so I would stick with that if gaming is your thing. You may need to install "Wine" -- could someone tell us how well does Ubuntu work with "Wine"?

As for language, I would say C++ is the most commonly used language for Games, although "Blender" has become a full 3D animation and gaming platform in and of itself, and Blender-based games are written all in Python. Blender is great because you can make everything: modeling, animatics, animation, scenes and maps, all using the Blender graphical interface -- and then program-in game logic with Python.

I guess my advice is, if you are starting from scratch, to learn everything you can about Blender and how to write Blender-Python programs. But you can't go wrong learning C++.

I'm learning C but is not object-oriented, should learn python?, I'd start with 2D games, but i will try to learn blender.

What is the best way to learn programming games? I have 6 months learning C. thanks for your help.

If you're already learning C, but you would like to learn more object oriented stuff (which can be done in C by the way, just not so easily), you might as well start learning C++.

C++ is the industry standard when it comes to game programming. And also, just about everything you've learned in C can be done in C++, with just some little differences. C++ is basically just an enhanced, object oriented version of C.

But still, when I learned Python it helped me comprehend a lot of object oriented techniques that definitely helped me later with other languages. So having Python, or C, or C++ under your belt will only help you later man.

Just Joined!
    I wouldn't focus on distro so much as minimum libraries so as to have the widest berth of distros that it will run on. C, C++, Python, etc... will work on them all but if you dynamically link libraries instead of statically linking them that can cause issues between distros.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by natediddy View Post
    If you're already learning C, but you would like to learn more object oriented stuff (which can be done in C by the way, just not so easily), you might as well start learning C++.
    This is very true! C can do object oriented programming, and in my opinion C does it quite well. But languages like C++ and Java have a nicer syntax that make it easier to define and modify objects.

Python is object oriented as well.

Linux User
    I'm learning C but is not object-oriented, should learn python?, I'd start with 2D games, but i will try to learn blender. What is the best way to learn programming games? I have 6 months learning C. thanks for your help.
    The best way to learn games is to learn the mathematics. Most people hate to hear that, but it is very true. A lot of people think they are good at computers but bad at math. Fortunately, the fact is if you are good at computers, you are good at math but you just didn't know it. (Or maybe you did know it!)

Learning to write games starts with an understanding of geometry, calculus, and linear algebra (the algebra of matricies). You may not need to actually program any mathematical formulas, because game engines often have functionality to simulate physics, and do the geometric drawing for you. However, if you don't know the math behind it, it can be very difficult to understand why and how to use these features of the game engine.

It is also very important to understand the mathematics of data structures. Organizing objects in the computer's memory, or on disk, is important for making any game work. You will often face challenges in the limitations of the computer system. Understanding data structures will let you intelligently address those challenges.

For example: lets say you are programming a war simulation game, which can be done in 2D or in 3D, it doesn't matter, the same challenges exist for both kinds:
    • How many soldiers can you have on the field at one time? How much memory does each soldier take?
    • When animating all of soldiers on the playing field, how fast can the computer update the map coordinates of each solder?
    • How can you store the soldiers in memory -- should you use an "array", or a "hash table"? Which would be faster?
    • You save memory by first dividing all soldiers in memory into two groups: those that are visible on-screen and those that are not. How can you compute the geometric equation that determines which soldiers are visible given your "solder" data structure?
    • Is your data structure designed to allow you to compute this geometry quickly?
    • How can you split the the soldiers into on-screen and off-screen groups in memory? Should you assign each soldier an "on_screen" bit, or should you create two separate arrays: an "on_screen" array and an "off_screen" array?
    • What happens when suddenly twice as many soldiers are on screen, can your array grow quickly, or will that take too much computing time and break the real-time smoothness of the game? Should you then use a hash table instead, or just use the "on_screen" bit?
    • How do you compute the animation for only the visible soldiers, while computing only the weapons-value, armor-value, and map coordinates of the off-screen soldiers?
    • Your game will have much smoother animation if it is multi-threaded. Do you understand the challenges that come with making good multi-threaded programs?
    • What are "deadlocks" and "race conditions"? Did you define your array or hash table to make sure these problems do not occur?
    Maybe you have a good game engine that solves all of these problems for you -- do you know enough about the mathematics of data structures to understand how to use the game engine?

I won't say its impossible to make games without knowing the math behind it, but your games won't be very good if you don't know these things.
    Last edited by ramin.honary; 05-17-2011 at 03:53 AM.

Linux Newbie
    Gentoo, before providing your game you should figure out what are it's exact requirements, and it should be tested with verity of Dependencies, only Gentoo allows you to do that.

good explanations. thanks guys, I'm still Beginner in programming video games, ramin I'm good at math when i learn more C will learn C + + and blender

I did some games in C but very very simple, I have the source code and executable But I hope to learn how to create game in 2d and 3d, I have thought about creating a game in C, will soon put the source code for any questions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast