Find the answer to your Linux question:
Am I the only person in the linux world that wants a media player that supports playlist transfer? I swear I've been waiting for years (since the end of Amarok ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Playlist + MP3 Player

Am I the only person in the linux world that wants a media player that supports playlist transfer? I swear I've been waiting for years (since the end of Amarok 1.4) for a media player to add support instead of adding all of these ridiculous plugins that few people use (even things like the wiki addition is pretty but not that useful)
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Kentucky or the South Pole with the Penguins
    That would be nice!

My problem with the default ubuntu player (Banshee) and maybe others, is when I change the file tags to something other than the "unknown" that it puts with a lot of songs that aren't tagged right. I use "easyTAG" to customize all the unknown files, but when I rescan my library to add the songs Ive recently downloaded (instead of going in manually adding one by one) it ONCE AGAIN re-names them back to UNKNOWN! Burns me up!

All that hard work of going through each individual song and changing it around, then it's back to square one. easyTAG should take care of this for me, but it don't always work

All I want is a nice ORGANIZED list of all my songs. That's my problem. Even when the song specifically says the track number, artist name, and track title in the freaking file name, it doesn't recognize it as any of that. I guess it wants the "tags" labeled correctly instead. You'd think it would be able to pick all that up from just the file name. Disappointingly it doesn't...

Also, you would think the plugin/extension "Library Watcher" would do as it is labeled (add recent files added to the Music folder, but NOPE. Doesn't work. Why do they even have it as an option then Someone has some work to do

SunshineFolk

I actually don't have the tags issue. From my personal cd collection I used easytag (using the previous version of tags) and it worked fine. Then all the rest of my music is legally bought and those tags worked fine immediately. I suspect that you may be pirating (otherwise tags would already be there) and if that's the case I can't be of any help (sorry just not my thing). There are tricks with easytag that you might want to look into but ultimately I agree that banshee has a lot of work to do to be able to compete against the original Amarok (probably on par with Amarok 2 at this point)

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Well, this is true what you are saying about me getting music off the internet, but by no means was I talking about "pirated" music here. The music I was referring to was "mixtapes". We don't have to get into which genre of music is better, yadda yadda, but I listen to mainly Rap music. The music I get off the internet is FREE music. Look up what mixtapes are if you don' t believe me, but whatever . Basically, it's music rappers (or whatever) make that they don't feel is worthy of putting on a LP version or album as you would call it for retail. I'm sure some think it's worthy but you get what I'm trying to say. I realize why you have your assumptions, but in this case, you are wrong. I definitely give credit to the writer/rapper/producer if it is an LP, in which I will purchase. But these mixtapes are for FREE, in which the rapper/producer will put out THEMSELVES for people to listen to and download for free. In this case, if you are paying for these mixtapes, well, someone is doing even dirtier work than "pirating".

EDIT: I just looked up mixtapes in wiki, so before you throw this back at me , there are MANY mixtapes with pirated music, but the ones I'm referring to here are the ones put out by their company in general with one artist on it, not the mixtape with like a compilation of stolen songs.

For the most part, they do all have the tags correct. But I will always get a few that just have it in the file name, and it just totally messes up my collection

Mixtapes are now commonly used by labels and new artists as a promotional tool, as a way of generating hype.[7] An unsigned artist might release several mixtapes to generate buzz, leading to interest from record labels, while a signed artist may release a mixtape to promote a future studio album, in a sales model relying on word of mouth to increase the artist's credibility (known as "street cred"). Often each track on a promotional hip hop mixtape will feature the same artist, thus making it more difficult to differentiate from a standard album. However, these mixtapes will usually have much lower production values than a studio album (such as containing demos or rough cuts of the tracks), and contain numerous collaborations, remixes, freestyles and voice-overs, often arranged in a specific flowing fashion. It's common for such mixtapes to re-use previously heard instrumental tracks from other artists.

SunshineFolk

lol I take it back then (but I wasn't judging to begin with). None the less, using easytag, try changing the tag style to 2.3 instead of 2.4, that fixed a lot of my headaches. Apologize for the mix up and hopefully you can enjoy your mixed tapes haha.

No problem. I will give that a shot when I get back around to it. I'll see what I can do with it, cause I've only used it a few times really, so I'll have to just play around with it a little more.

But back to the main topic. If there was a playlist import/export, that would be awesome! I think that's what you meant anyway. It is very tedious going in and making them, just to see them go to such waste unless you use the same player or whatever the problem may be.

SunshineFolk