Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm new to these forums and still pretty much new to linux, I've been tinkering with it on and off for years but never really got stuck in. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which distribution?

Hi, I'm new to these forums and still pretty much new to linux, I've been tinkering with it on and off for years but never really got stuck in.

I was recently looking to purchase an NAS to store all of my videos/Music on and access it on all of the computers in my house.

I've decided that I'm going to build a new PC and run FreeNAS on it since then I can always upgrade it for more storage space if I need it.

One thought I had was if I had a small PC connected up to the main TV in the house the whole family would be able to pick a Movie or whatever stored on my NAS and watch it any time with no hastle, the problem is the rest of my family aren't particularly technical and connecting to the NAS and looking through for something could me complicated for them.

What I'd like is a distribution that I could set up that is literally just for browsing the NAS, preferably with just a menu system (possibly just with the TV remote if this would be possible but not entirely essential) and that would play Video and Music files of various file types on the TV.

I don't mind having to go through a vigorous setup process to get something just the way I want or even having to learn and program bits if I need to since I am keen to learn and I think these days it's all about technology and having everything connected for ease of use and just making everything simple for everyone.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any suggestions on this matter.

Just Joined!
    You could try a distribution for multimidia (kind of) the easy way like VortexBox for example. Would that work? (search distrowatch.com for other distros)