Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have limewire and i download music. and i have made a shared folder on /. and in limewire i can set it to download files there for one user ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

sharing files

i have limewire and i download music. and i have made a shared folder on /. and in limewire i can set it to download files there for one user but the other 2 say that it cannot use that directory. is there away i can set a folder for the music from all 3 users to go to one so that the music can be accessed by all users.
    Desk TopAMD Semperon 3200+, MSI KT6V mobo, ATI Radeon 64mg DDR, 256 mg 3200, 40 gig HD
    LapTop Toshiba 105s. Pentium 75, 45 meg ram, 500 mg hdd.
    Server Compaq Proliant 166 mhz cpu. 168 meg ram, 2 x 4 gig hdd, 2 x 9 gig hdd

Just Joined!
    I'm very new myself so I can't give you specifics but to help you out until a better answer is given: search google & here for info on chmod. You have to set the permissions on that folder so that everyone can use the same one. I don't know if you should move it out of your home folder to somewhere else first or not. You can check out man pages on chmod as well possibly and even chmod --help.

Linux Newbie
    yeah i went thru KDE and right clicked on the folder and set the folder so that all users can edit or delete files from there. so maybe i do need to move it out of the /home dir. Do you know a better place to put it so that all users would be able to access it
    Desk TopAMD Semperon 3200+, MSI KT6V mobo, ATI Radeon 64mg DDR, 256 mg 3200, 40 gig HD

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    sheesh. that was much easier than chmod. I'm so used to redhat 5 from years ago... i don't know. I'd probably make another directory in the /home but just use it for the p2p folder. like /home/shared

Linux Newbie
    yeah i tried that this morning. i used the root login and made the /home/shared and gave all users permission to access it, and it worked pretty easy. This stuff is so much more stable then windows ever thought to be. Thanks for your posts

***Moved to the Multimedia section***
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy