Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am jumbled on terminology so I am not sure what I am looking for. For those that play / host Minecraft, maybe you already know. I host a server ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

ability to restart a game remotely

I am jumbled on terminology so I am not sure what I am looking for.

For those that play / host Minecraft, maybe you already know.

I host a server at home. Once in a while it crashes and it is in need of stopping and restarting. I have to wait till I get home to do so since I presently launch and leave it run in a shell.
    I'd like to be able to log in remotely to the server and stop / start / restart the game.

Is that a daemon?

Would it go in init.d ( Suse )

The game itself accepts the stop command to safely shutdown, but that would be another thing altogether I know.

Someone give be a nudge in the right direction please?

thanks

kumado

well, words finally came to me : for anyone else looking::

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Server_startup_script
    Last edited by Kumado; 09-21-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: solved - more info

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You could enable ssh on the server, poke a tunnel in your router/firewall to the server and ssh port, then connect using ssh, which will give you a command-line prompt on the server after you log in. If you do this, then make sure you have the latest patched sshd installed on your server for security reasons.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Thanks for the reply Rubberman.

I do use ssh to remote in and launch. ssh really helps a lot for much of what I do on my school servers.
    It was the script and the arguments that throw me.
    I made my firewall a long time ago and only in the past 3 or 4 years did I move it into the init.d folder with, what I think is the correct header information to have it launch on boot. What it is called, what levels to run on and turn off on, etc.
    I use Suse, Yast > system > runlevel sees the script and it works fine.

I did not know how to pass minecraft the stop command ( or others ) via the run script.
    If I only had more real time I guess, sigh, teaching is not conducive to getting much else done, haha.

kumado

Just Joined!
    If the game is not starting check the resetting and reboot up if again trouble persists then again download the game or
    you can install the game again.