Find the answer to your Linux question:
I used to play Civilization 2 Test of Time when I was younger. I just found the disk!!! Can I load this onto my Ubuntu 11.10 somehow? Without much trouble?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wanna install a game

I used to play Civilization 2 Test of Time when I was younger. I just found the disk!!! Can I load this onto my Ubuntu 11.10 somehow? Without much trouble?

Trusted Penguin
    It appears that this game was made for Windows 95. That should mean wine has a good chance of running it in Linux. Have you tried to install wine and run the installer that way? The wine packages should be in your apt sources.

If it is DOS-based (even though billed as Windows 95 compatible) you can also sometimes got those games to run under DOSBox. It is possibly in your repos, too. I use it to run D00M!

Just Joined!

Thumbs up http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=628&iTest

Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    I used to play Civilization 2 Test of Time when I was younger. I just found the disk!!! Can I load this onto my Ubuntu 11.10 somehow? Without much trouble?
    Hi Greg,

Here is the WINE appDB entry for Civilization 2: Multiplayer Gold link. It is an older version of that game. I'm not sure how similar the actual client is, but it's the only entry for Civilization 2 in the WINE appDB. Try the instructions shown in this or one of the other test installs and let us know how it worked. If it works well, you can consider making an entry for your game detailing your experience.

The forum software is not letting me post links in the body. see the title of my post (note it clipped the link so add this to the end: ingId=50621 OR you can search for the game under these categories on the appdb winehq org site.

Main > Games > Strategy Games > Turn-Based

Hope that helps. Let us know if that works.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    For posterity, here's a clickable link texaswriter provided:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...&iId=628&iTest

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    For posterity, here's a clickable link texaswriter provided:
    thank you sir. and the forum software cut off this part from the link you pasted: ingId=50621

Thanks again!!

Just Joined!
    Hi, have you tried FreeCiv? Its a pretty good open source attempt at Civilization ... on Fedora, its available with "yum install freeciv"