Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I would like to view DivX and Xvid videos on my Linux box. Some of the movies have subtitles and/or audio encoded using AC3. Can anyone suggest a movie ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Viewing DivX and XviD

Hi,

I would like to view DivX and Xvid videos on my Linux box. Some of the movies have subtitles and/or audio encoded using AC3. Can anyone suggest a movie player or plugin that can be used to view these formats. I am using Fedora Core 3.

Thanks
    is-serp

e2k
    Just Joined!
    I can truly recommend mplayer. It plays almost everything you can possibly find, and supports subtitles. No need for codec searches anymore

Linux Engineer
    MPlayer
    Xine
    Elation
    KMPlayer
    KPlayer
    VLC
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Yes, MPlayer is amazing. The subtitles look really good, and it's really fast. It supports every format I've ever seen, has loads of useful options that can be easily changed from the keyboard (brightness, contrast, speed, language, hue, saturation, volume, etc.).

If you're interested, I have a script for changing the subtitle font/size.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormblazer
    Yes, MPlayer is amazing. The subtitles look really good, and it's really fast. It supports every format I've ever seen, has loads of useful options that can be easily changed from the keyboard (brightness, contrast, speed, language, hue, saturation, volume, etc.).

If you're interested, I have a script for changing the subtitle font/size.
    I would appreciate it if you could send me the script, either over msn messenger or by email on josefeg@euroweb.net.mt. Thanks

Just Joined!
    Just out of curiosity (from a newb)

how many of you use the GUI, and do you use mplayer for audio as well?

Linux Enthusiast
    I almost never use the GUI, I just made some mini-scripts (one line each) to run mplayer with my desired options for each file type and put them in /usr/local/bin and made them executable.
    Then I set gnome to open the individual file-types with those scripts so it runs stuff from nautilus with my settings.

As for audio, I always use XMMS.

Just Joined!
    mmkay... I'm still having a bit of trouble adding codecs to XMMS... That and trying to install Crossover office to I can load iTunes...

Times like this I wish I'd just stuck to MP3s and OGG :P

Linux Enthusiast
    For XMMS, you just need to install the audio libs- like ogg, lame (for mp3), flac, etc.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormblazer
    For XMMS, you just need to install the audio libs- like ogg, lame (for mp3), flac, etc.
    If you don't stick with the RPMs, be sure to exclude it from any updates(Apt, Yum, Up2date).
    Even than, some apps will still need xmms-mp3 and not lame to solve its dependencies.