Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need a new desktop (which will be mini-tower with a small server board, incidentally) and for the first time need a sound card for desktop conferencing. Now my problem ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unusual soundcard requirements

I need a new desktop (which will be mini-tower with a small server
    board, incidentally) and for the first time need a sound card for
    desktop conferencing. Now my problem is that I have been severely
    deaf since childhood, and my auditory cues are very unusual, so I often
    have trouble with audio equipment and need somethings fairly decent.
    This is NOT for music, and the timing (e.g. consistency and low latency
    is more important than frequency).

This needs to interface into either broadcast quality headphones (e.g.
    Beyerdynamic DT 100) or to a Phonak iCom. I am pretty certain that
    I could do the former with a M-Audio card, but I cannot find any
    reliable way of doing the latter. The iCom takes bluetooth, but finding
    information on which good quality sound cards speak bluetooth and
    work under Linux is, er, non-trivial.

Any information gratefully received.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    It isn't the sound card that deals with the bluetooth interface. I have a Linux system with Intel HD sound (built into the motherboard), and can plug in a bluetooth USB transceiver and get audio from the system that is quite nice. At least I use it for Skype (it has a built-in microphone). The ALSA/Pulse audio drivers of current systems deal with all of this cruft pretty well. FWIW, my main audio output is via a set of Bose speakers, but sometimes I plug in a headset (Sony). They both work just fine!

I had my current system built to my specifications by a local computer store. It has an Intel workstation/server motherboard, dual quad-core processors, 8GB of RAM, dual ethernet NICs, a built-in Intel HD audio system, and an nVidia dual-monitor graphics adapter. It is just over 4 years old, and still works like a charm! I do A/V processing on this system, and can attest to the quality of the built-in sound system - I am a serious amateur musician, and have been playing piano, guitar, violin, and mandolin since I was a kid. I was also a music minor in college, and was "blessed" with perfect pitch...

As we like to say in the computer/software business, keep it simple! The built-in audio of a lot of systems these days is quite good, and should work well for you.

Back to the bluetooth - assuming you plug a BT adaptor into the system that you can use, the sound system will see that as an output device, and provide as much bandwidth (sound resolution) as it is capable of. The sound card/system itself does NOT have to be BT-enabled! IMO, those that are, are fine, assuming that it is the only BT device in the system. However, it is unnecessary to go to the extra expense of getting one that IS BT-enabled since you can pick up a good BT USB transceiver for about $30 USD such as my Belkin extended range device.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks very much.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by nmm_cam View Post
    Thanks very much.
    I hope this helps. If you need more help, or bad advice, we are here to help!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!