Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am converting from windows however i have several HD-DVD's and i am looking for a player that can play the now obsolete format can VLC or Totem play them....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Can VLC or Totem play HD-DVD

I am converting from windows however i have several HD-DVD's and i am looking for a player that can play the now obsolete format can VLC or Totem play them.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If either of them can, I would bet on VLC. Just looking on the VideoLan (VLC) web site, I don't see HD-DVD mentioned as an input format, but that may be due to the DRM that HD-DVD uses. I don't think it uses the standard CSS encryption that normal commercial DVDs use, which VLC can handle if you install the DVDCSS library. Totem also uses the DVDCSS library to decode commercial DVDs.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    I am not sure either. Has anyone every make a plug in for this obsolete format

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This may help: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...BluRayAndHDDVD. Once you have ripped the HD-DVD to a neutral format (such as mkv), you can easily use ffmpeg to convert it to a normal DVD mpeg2 format, and then create the VOB files needed to burn to a DVD.

Just Joined!
    I would likely put my money on VLC as it has been something that worked in a lot of unimaginable ways when compared to other video playback software.

And most likely, the downfall that you are going to get from it is the idea of having a different form of encryption tool to actually work against what is being implemented right within the ranks here.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by cjared View Post

And most likely, the downfall that you are going to get from it is the idea of having a different form of encryption tool to actually work against what is being implemented right within the ranks here.
    I have no clue what you mean

Yes you can. What you would need to do first is decrypt HD-DVD first. The only linux software I found that can do this is DumpHD. What it will do is remove the AACS protection so your media player can play these discs. Its similar to AnyDVD (windows).

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by mactruck View Post
    Yes you can. What you would need to do first is decrypt HD-DVD first. The only linux software I found that can do this is DumpHD. What it will do is remove the AACS protection so your media player can play these discs. Its similar to AnyDVD (windows).
    If i do this for only HD-DVDs is it legal ( im one that believes in respecting property rights by purchasing things legally, and i mostlikely will do with what i want with what i puchased but i just am curious if i could get tagged with corporate espianoge or something for removing content restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha90 View Post
    If i do this for only HD-DVDs is it legal ( im one that believes in respecting property rights by purchasing things legally, and i mostlikely will do with what i want with what i puchased but i just am curious if i could get tagged with corporate espianoge or something for removing content restrictions.
    This is an ongoing debate these days. The DMCA (in the US only) states that one cannot circumvent media encryption unless explicitly allowed by a waiver from the US Library of Congress (allowing rooting of iPhones for example). Technically, breaking the encryption to make a personal backup in the US is illegal (I think), but ethically... That is your call. This entire arena is so totally bogus as to defy understanding! Why am I breaking a law in order to create a backup of stuff I have legally purchased?! This is just completely nonsensical!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha90 View Post
    Unless you are uploading your disc to the net then you will have nothing to worry about. If you do it on your home pc for backup or just watching a movie then you will not have any problems.

EDIT: I have read over this a few times and the wording still does not sound right.
    Last edited by mactruck; 06-12-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: I am an idiot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast