Find the answer to your Linux question:
I currently use Linux on my netbook for work, but I'd like to use it on my desktop as well. The only thing that's stopping me is that I use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A few questions about gaming on linux (WINE-related)

I currently use Linux on my netbook for work, but I'd like to use it on my desktop as well. The only thing that's stopping me is that I use my desktop for gaming. I don't like to dual-boot (it's annoying to me :P) so I've been looking into compatibility for my games.

I'm getting some mixed signals though. For example, Star Trek Online is rated "Gold" on WineDB, but judging from the comments section and from other places on the internet, it's actually difficult to get this game running and apparently many people cannot. Is something about WineDB inherently inaccurate? It looks like several games that have Gold ratings are actually quite glitchy in practice, from what I've read.

Also, does anyone have any experience with gaming inside VirtualBox?

Linux Newbie
    Some games work well in wine, glitchy on some and completely won't work on others. I have had success in virtual box but there are a few games I had that wouldn't work. I think it was because I didn't have full hardware support.
    What don't you like about dual booting. Mint has a Mint4Windows that install inside of Windows as a program. It's not dual booting although you get a selection on witch system to use while Windows is booting up.