Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I'm looking for a VOIP solution that is freestanding in that it doesn't have a central server you need to log on to but it communicates peer-to-peer even to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    vpo
    Just Joined!

Any program for VOIP without central servers and logins?

Hi!

I'm looking for a VOIP solution that is freestanding in that it doesn't have a central server you need to log on to but it communicates peer-to-peer even to initiate a session. (Could be based on sending your IP to the partner before starting.)

Does anyone know of that type of VOIP (internet telephony) software?

Thanks in advance for any hints.

Quote Originally Posted by vpo View Post
    Hi!

I'm looking for a VOIP solution that is freestanding in that it doesn't have a central server you need to log on to but it communicates peer-to-peer even to initiate a session. (Could be based on sending your IP to the partner before starting.)

Does anyone know of that type of VOIP (internet telephony) software?

Thanks in advance for any hints.
    You may want to look into OpenVOIP. It's an open source, P2PP-based VOIP and IM system. I'm not sure if it will suit your needs exactly, but it may be a start.

If you have Windows, you can also check out MicroSIP.

And if you simply don't want to use a third-party VOIP server, you can set up your own VOIP server using something like Asterisk.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    vpo
    Just Joined!
    Thanks, asidewalk. Umm, OpenVOIP doesn't look like what I was looking for, except if it can be configured to work without logging in to the "peer-to-peer overlay" of the planet-lab.org network or other similar infrastructure.

Maybe I should check what Asterisk can do. Basically I'm just looking for some handy way to establish a point-to-point voice communication connection without dependency on third parties.

Just Joined!
    I Hear U (IHU) Project Homepage
    I have not tried this, but it seems to be what you are looking for.

vpo
    Just Joined!
    Thanks, kohog! That is indeed the first suggestion that matches the criteria on this and some other forums/lists where I asked about this thing. However, since IHU is not avalable for Windows, it might not be the solution for me. (I wonder how difficult it would be to port an audio project like that...)

Anyway, thanks for the discussion, I hope I'll figure out some suitable solution

Vesa