Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys i am new to linux but have tried many distros so far but many a places i have seen that many people install Nvidia graphics drivers , so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Nvidia Drivers- Why do we need them on fresh installation

Hi Guys
    i am new to linux but have tried many distros so far but many a places i have seen that many people install Nvidia graphics drivers , so i have few questions:
    1. after installing say fedora or ubuntu why do i need to install Nvidia->enhance graphics of desktop or games.
    2. Is Nvidia bydefault supported on fresh install or have to install it after installing LinuxDistro.
    2.i got i think Geforce 6000 series nVidia logo on my laptop so do i have to install it by myself and what capabilities will be enhanced.

Thanking You.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by akmonlinuxforums View Post
    Hi Guys
    i am new to linux but have tried many distros so far but many a places i have seen that many people install Nvidia graphics drivers , so i have few questions:
    1. after installing say fedora or ubuntu why do i need to install Nvidia->enhance graphics of desktop or games.
    2. Is Nvidia bydefault supported on fresh install or have to install it after installing LinuxDistro.
    2.i got i think Geforce 6000 series nVidia logo on my laptop so do i have to install it by myself and what capabilities will be enhanced.
    The official nvidia drivers are proprietary software so they usually are not directly included with Linux distributions because of licensing issues, but have to be installed later. You can try open source drivers such as the nouveau drivers if you prefer not to use proprietary drivers.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks...but pls answer as per my points mentioned otherwise i am going to be confused.
    Pls also let me know- when i am seeing my defora desktop after fresh installation will it be looking nicer after adding Nvidia drivers ....

Thanks...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    when i am seeing my defora desktop after fresh installation will it be looking nicer after adding Nvidia drivers ....
    Your graphics card should work more efficiently when the official nvidia drivers are installed and used.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Hi Guys
    Hello everybody.

I'll try to clearly answer your questions and summarizing what the others also wrote.
    you'll have to install the proprietary driver if you want to use the special features of your GPU : XVMC for displaying Mpeg 1/2 videos, OpenGL for 3D desktop or gaming, easy dual-display with nvidia-settings, TV out...
    The best way is to have a look at your distro's manual, and use the recommanded method. For Ubuntu, it's by launching "hardware drivers" or "jockey". For Fedora, I don't know but you may find the correct howto on Fedora's website.

Thanking You.
    Geforce 6000 and next are supported by the current latest driver. No issue with that.

Just Joined!

Why Can not Hardware vendors play nice to Linux

Would not be nice if nVidia has allowed Linux to include its drivers as a part of its installation disk? Just a thought!

Thanks,
    Erick

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDangeax View Post
    Hello everybody.

I'll try to clearly answer your questions and summarizing what the others also wrote.
    you'll have to install the proprietary driver if you want to use the special features of your GPU : XVMC for displaying Mpeg 1/2 videos, OpenGL for 3D desktop or gaming, easy dual-display with nvidia-settings, TV out...

The best way is to have a look at your distro's manual, and use the recommanded method. For Ubuntu, it's by launching "hardware drivers" or "jockey". For Fedora, I don't know but you may find the correct howto on Fedora's website.

Geforce 6000 and next are supported by the current latest driver. No issue with that.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    At least the current crop of nVidia proprietary drivers support DKMS so they auto-reinstall when you update the system kernel. This did not used to be the case, but that was fixed in the past year or so. So, install DKMS before you install (or reinstall) your nVidia driver, then when you update the kernel, the DKMS system will rebuild the nVidia modules for you on reboot and load them appropriately.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!