Find the answer to your Linux question:
My PC came with pre-installed Windows 7 which has no sound problems. I installed Xubuntu and Ubuntu (both using Wubi) and now I use Windows and Arch(bang). Every linux installation ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Choppy sound on Intel HDA, only on Linux.

My PC came with pre-installed Windows 7 which has no sound problems.
    I installed Xubuntu and Ubuntu (both using Wubi) and now I use Windows and Arch(bang).
    Every linux installation mentioned above has/had very bad sound. The audio is always very choppy (I think that's the right word). When run in VirtualBox (host:Windows), those OSs have no audio problems. How would you suggest I find and fix the problem?

Please help. I only have Internet for a couple of days so I need to fix it soon.

Linux Guru
    Open a terminal in whichever distribution and run alsamixer. There will be a number of options you can configure and also you will be able to check if anyting is muted (MM). The F1 key in alsamixer is the help key to explain how to use it. You should also be able to find numerous explanations/tutorials on alsamixer by googling it.

Just Joined!

Smile Solved!

Thanks man!! I looked again at alsamixer as you said and now everything's fine.

For anyone else with the same problem:

I suspected this to be a auto-mute problem. But didn't know how to fix it. In help (F1), I saw that F5 shows all controls. Then I disabled Auto-mute. (You'll have to scroll-right to find it). Instant fix!

Intel HDA. Alsamixer.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close