Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've switched to ffmpeg after recordmydesktop mic problem which it volume output completely muted the video clip. So then I'm trying to record an embedded video on my browser so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FFMPEG unable to record a specific region on screen

I've switched to ffmpeg after recordmydesktop mic problem which it volume output completely muted the video clip. So then I'm trying to record an embedded video on my browser so I tried to mimic the coordinates using another window but there's an error.

"Application provided invalid, non monotonically dts to muxer in stream 1: 66>= 66
    av_interleaved_write_frame(): Invalid data found when processing input.

It's able to record my whole screen with no problem but not this specific size and FFmpeg was installed pre-packaged but wasn't compiled. This is the command to produce this error: ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i hw:0,0 -f x11grab -r 30 -s 712x366 -i :0.0+229,186 -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec libx264 -preset ultrafast -crf 0 -threads 0 output.mkv

I'm not sure what's wrong people recommend using ffcast2 for graphical window grab but I failed to met the package's requirements. Has anyone tried using ffmpeg and grabbed a certain window or region of their screen successfully?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    One way would be to record the entire desktop, and then use ffmpeg again to trim it to the area you want.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    One way would be to record the entire desktop, and then use ffmpeg again to trim it to the area you want.
    Then I'm confused, is recording on a specific screen not featured in the program? Or simply not possible?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Known View Post
    Then I'm confused, is recording on a specific screen not featured in the program? Or simply not possible?
    I'm not sure. I've only recorded the entire display, such as when working up an e-presentation. Why not expand the desired window to the full screen and then record the screen? FFMPEG will allow you to capture that, along with trimming options I think.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I'm not sure. I've only recorded the entire display, such as when working up an e-presentation. Why not expand the desired window to the full screen and then record the screen? FFMPEG will allow you to capture that, along with trimming options I think.
    I have confirmed that my current version FFMPEG is able to video capture from a specific screen. I have no clue why it's working now, it seems after I deleted the mkv file, it suddenly worked. The above errors was resolved by modifying the containers, but then there's another dilemma, when I run ffmpeg with microphone as audio and run pulse control, it doesn't show ffmpeg on the recording tab. What's going on?
    Last edited by G-Known; 01-27-2013 at 11:06 PM.