Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok, first I will start out saying I know absolutely nothing in this area, so, with that said.... I found what appears to be the best PS2 emulator. PCXS2. They ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

PS2 emulation??

Ok, first I will start out saying I know absolutely nothing in this area, so, with that said.... I found what appears to be the best PS2 emulator. PCXS2. They have a Linux version 32 bit only, but say you can install the dependencies if you're running a 64 bit. My ? is 2 fold. First, do I have the power? 3.00GHz dual core Pentium, 3GB DDR2 RAM and a Geforce 210 silent with 1GB. Second, the site appeared to be geared at certain Debian and Ubuntu distros. I run Ultimate Edition 3.5 with Kde backports 64 bit. Will those dependencies work on this? It is a Ubuntu based distro. I really don't wanna install a 32 bit or even another distro as this is the best I've seen. Thanks.

Well, you need to back up a step further: AFAIK to get it to work you're going to need a playstation that you're willing to tear up. I looked in to setting it up on my machine a while back. All the programs I found that would run the emulator required a legit BIOS that had been extracted from a PS. When I looked in to it, the only methods I found for extracting a PS BIOS involved hardware hacking with a solder gun. That's when I stopped reading.

Just Joined!
    Thanks. I got a reply on the PCSX2 site. They informed me that I do in fact have to extract the bios, but can do via a method of copying files from it, not tearing it apart or stealing hardware. They informed me that the PS2 will still work as nothing has been removed or altered. I'm waiting on the method of how to do this, so I would be happy to let you know when they tell me. Hehe, just got the response. Let you know soon friend.

EDIT: The only "legal" method is to get the bios from your PS2. There are available ones out there, but I can't give you a link cause I have not verified their integrity and would feel terrible for giving bad info
    Last edited by Levi88; 06-06-2013 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Additional info

Just Joined!
    Here is the link with some instructions and links to get the software to dump the bios info. Official English PCSX2 configuration guide v1.0.0

I could have downloaded a BIOS, but didn't want to take the chance on getting something full of warez. I gave up on the project and my PS is over in storage now. I don't recall my PS2 having a USB port on it? But, mine is one of the original ones from when they first came out. The method I was looking at involved creating a port interface by making some modifications to the board. I dropped it because I didn't want to chance burning up the board.

Let me know if you get it to work without hardware modifications. If you do I may go pull mine out of storage and take another look at it.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven_G View Post
    I could have downloaded a BIOS, but didn't want to take the chance on getting something full of warez. I gave up on the project and my PS is over in storage now. I don't recall my PS2 having a USB port on it? But, mine is one of the original ones from when they first came out. The method I was looking at involved creating a port interface by making some modifications to the board. I dropped it because I didn't want to chance burning up the board.

Let me know if you get it to work without hardware modifications. If you do I may go pull mine out of storage and take another look at it.
    I found the bios on pirates bay, but have yet to verify it's integrity. I'll give it a shot tommorow and let you know.

Just Joined!
    I guess you just do not get it, but I do know if you keep it up, you will be in a Federal Prison and wishing you had gone to some garage sale and found a used PS/2, bought it, and gotten your BIOS information out of the actual PS2. You were warned on this forum about the legality of downloading a BIOS for PS2 vs. downloading it out of your own PS2. Now your warned again, stop downloading and posting here on this web site where such BIOS files can be downloaded from. You are jeopardizing this forums existance by posting such things as you just posted. If you can not afford a used PS2, and you can not follow the instructions how to extract and download your BIOS files from your PS2, then you deserve to be sent to Federal Prison where you can enjoy the meat that says: "For Institutional Use Only, Not fit for human consumption". I hope I have been very informative to you and perhaps you will think this through before posting what has been stated as being illegal. Personally, I would like to someday play around with this PS2 Emulator by following the instructions on the link, and taking it from a legally boughten PS2, just for a challenge and to say I actually accomplished something by using a legal method.
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi88 View Post
    I found the bios on pirates bay, but have yet to verify it's integrity. I'll give it a shot tommorow and let you know.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by flyboydale54 View Post
    I guess you just do not get it, but I do know if you keep it up, you will be in a Federal Prison and wishing you had gone to some garage sale and found a used PS/2, bought it, and gotten your BIOS information out of the actual PS2. You were warned on this forum about the legality of downloading a BIOS for PS2 vs. downloading it out of your own PS2. Now your warned again, stop downloading and posting here on this web site where such BIOS files can be downloaded from. You are jeopardizing this forums existance by posting such things as you just posted. If you can not afford a used PS2, and you can not follow the instructions how to extract and download your BIOS files from your PS2, then you deserve to be sent to Federal Prison where you can enjoy the meat that says: "For Institutional Use Only, Not fit for human consumption". I hope I have been very informative to you and perhaps you will think this through before posting what has been stated as being illegal. Personally, I would like to someday play around with this PS2 Emulator by following the instructions on the link, and taking it from a legally boughten PS2, just for a challenge and to say I actually accomplished something by using a legal method.
    Whoa there. Calm down fella. I'm legal buddy. I do own a PS2. Furthermore, if you already own something you can legally download a copy (1) for backup purposes. And even at that they aren't gonna throw somebody in prison for a simple thing like that. All I did was take a "legal" shortcut so that I didn't have to mess directly with the PS2. Furthermore I made sure I got the exact same bios as my PS2 model. Cheers on your internet policing though.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven_G View Post

It works! My system is not really up to the challenge though. I need more speed, ram and graphics. Plays for short time at about 50% speed before freezing cause of the small amount of ram though. The bios can be extracted from the PS2 without actually removing or altering the files. All the instructions are on their page. It's through a magicgate program that just copies the files via USB I believe. I didn't try the extraction myself, but was assured by trusted sources that it does work. I'm on many forums and often ask the same thing in many of them just to get a broader view. They thought I was living under a rock when I mentioned the hardware mods. LOL. Hope this helps friend. The PCSX2 site is also very helpful on their forums and will respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi88 View Post
    ...They thought I was living under a rock when I mentioned the hardware mods. LOL. Hope this helps friend. The PCSX2 site is also very helpful on their forums and will respond.
    Ah, but you have to remember, I have and original PS2 from back in 2000. Next time I go to storage I'll have to look again to see if it has USB. It may. But I don't ever remember seeing one? Then again I am getting senile and need glasses, maybe I just missed it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast