Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am somewhat of a new user to Ubuntu and have been trying to set up my Logitech c170 webcam in 12.04, can anybody show me the steps? So ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help configuring Logitech c170 in Ubuntu 12.04?

Hello, I am somewhat of a new user to Ubuntu and have been trying to set up my Logitech c170 webcam in 12.04, can anybody show me the steps? So far I know that Skype recognizes it and automatically populates the 'Select webcam' field in the video options with 'Webcam C170 (/dev/video0)'. VLC allows me to choose '/dev/video0' in the Capture Device tab of Open Media Also, when I enter the command 'cat /proc/asound/cards' in Terminal, I get the following response:

0 [ICH5 ]: ICH4 - Intel ICH5
    Intel ICH5 with AD1980 at irq 17
    1 [C170 ]: USB-Audio - Webcam C170
    Webcam C170 at usb-0000:00:1d.7-3, high speed

So I know that the system has recognized the webcam and the built in mic, but I am unable to capture any video or audio in the variety of applications I've tried. Anybody who can solve this for me will have my undying respect and gratitude! All replies are welcome!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Have you tried to use VLC in streaming mode? That would be the "Open Capture Device" or "Stream->Capture Device" options in the Media menu.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!