Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I'm trying to set up MAME on my Netbook, running Lubuntu. I have MAME itself working just fine, but it doesn't display a list of all my installed games ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

None of the MAME frontends work?!

Hi! I'm trying to set up MAME on my Netbook, running Lubuntu. I have MAME itself working just fine, but it doesn't display a list of all my installed games (with good reason, I have 20GB of ROMs). I would like a front-end, so I can browse games by category/year/playcount, like in MAME32.

First I tried Gnome Video Arcade. It started to scan my ROMs, and after about 2 hours, it made it to about 40%, and then it said something along the lines of "You have no ROMs! Fix that in the MAME config!" - Well that's funny, because MAME says I have ROMs, and what the hell was GVA doing for those 2 hours then?

So now I'm trying "QMC2". It is asking for the path to the executable for "SDLMAME". I don't know what SDLMAME is, or where the executable path would be, or even what file extension an executable has in Linux. I don't think there's EXEs in linux. How would I figure out where Synaptic installed MAME? I tried doing a file search in Nautilus for "*mame*", but it came up with nothing.

Thanks for your help!

Linux Guru
    I have no idea what MAME is but what options did you use with the find commad? Searching in a terminal, you need to be aware of case-sensitivity so that MAME and Mame and mAme are all different. Case sensitivity is important. Whereis MAME or locate MAME would be good starting points.

I don't think there's EXEs in linux
    Correct, no files with the .exe extension.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    I have no idea what MAME is but what options did you use with the find commad? Searching in a terminal, you need to be aware of case-sensitivity so that MAME and Mame and mAme are all different. Case sensitivity is important. Whereis MAME or locate MAME would be good starting points.

Correct, no files with the .exe extension.
    Sorry, I just assumed everyone that uses Linux had heard of MAME. It's the Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator, and if you have the ROM files, it lets you play almost every arcade video game ever made, from the 1970's to the most recent arcade games. Frogger is my favourite

I used locate *mame* and I think I found the executable, but there's no extension. Is there an easy way to determine if a file is an executable in the command line? Also, is there a way to pipe the results of 'locate' to 1 page at a time? Like dir | more in MSDOS?

Linux Guru
    Sorry, I just assumed everyone that uses Linux had heard of MAME
    Never used a computer for that, seems like more of a windows thing, games. I have played Arcade games in an Arcade, usually at the mall. You don't need an extension for an executable file. The two simplest way to find whether a file is executable is to use the file manager, find the file, right click it, select properties and in the window which opens, click the permissions tab. In the center of this window, you should see 'is executable' and to the left a box which is either checked or not. Another way is to use the ls -l command. An example below:

ls -l acer
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 444 Mar 21 12:15 acer
    The - on the far left means it is a file, the rwx mean read, write and execute and it is owned by root and is in the group root. You need to be in the directory in which the file is located or use the full path: ls -l /home/bubba/Documents would show the permissions, ete. for all files and directories in the /home/bubba/Documents directory.

Also, is there a way to pipe the results of 'locate' to 1 page at a time? Like dir | more in MSDOS?
    You can use 'more' or 'less' commands and to get more info on that you can check the man (manual) pages. Type man more in a terminal and that should get it for you. I believe these commands actually are a lot older than anything microsoftian and originated with Unix.

Quote Originally Posted by moeburn View Post
    Hi! I'm trying to set up MAME on my Netbook, running Lubuntu. I have MAME itself working just fine, but it doesn't display a list of all my installed games (with good reason, I have 20GB of ROMs). I would like a front-end, so I can browse games by category/year/playcount, like in MAME32.

First I tried Gnome Video Arcade. It started to scan my ROMs, and after about 2 hours, it made it to about 40%, and then it said something along the lines of "You have no ROMs! Fix that in the MAME config!" - Well that's funny, because MAME says I have ROMs, and what the hell was GVA doing for those 2 hours then?

So now I'm trying "QMC2". It is asking for the path to the executable for "SDLMAME". I don't know what SDLMAME is, or where the executable path would be, or even what file extension an executable has in Linux. I don't think there's EXEs in linux. How would I figure out where Synaptic installed MAME? I tried doing a file search in Nautilus for "*mame*", but it came up with nothing.

Thanks for your help!
    The usual location for most executables is /usr/bin. A command to find where an executable is "which commandname", assuming it's in your path.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan