Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, With gnome-sound-recorder OR running following command; Code: ffmpeg -f alsa -i pulse -ar 44100 -ac 2 -ab 128k output.mp3 I can record sound as .mp3 file. But there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

How to reduce background noise

Hi all,

With gnome-sound-recorder OR running following command;

Code:
    ffmpeg -f alsa -i pulse -ar 44100 -ac 2 -ab 128k output.mp3
    I can record sound as .mp3 file. But there is a heavy background noise. However if I lower the volume level of MIG on alsamixer I can reduce the noise. But the sound recorded is also reduces.

Is there a solution? Thanks

Rgds
    satimis

Linux User
    Satimis, are you playing with us?

What is "pulse"? Some kind of file with lots of noise? Maybe try without the "-f alsa" bit? Why use ffmpeg for this task?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Miven View Post
    Satimis, are you playing with us?

What is "pulse"? Some kind of file with lots of noise? Maybe try without the "-f alsa" bit? Why use ffmpeg for this task?
    Hi,

Sorry. It didn't work

$ ffmpeg -i pulse -ar 44100 -ac 2 -ab 128k output.mp3
    Code:
    ffmpeg version 0.8.6-4:0.8.6-0ubuntu0.12.04.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2013 the Libav
     developers
      built on Apr  2 2013 17:02:36 with gcc 4.6.3
    *** THIS PROGRAM IS DEPRECATED ***
    This program is only provided for compatibility and will be removed in a future 
    release. Please use avconv instead.
    pulse: No such file or directory

found following link;
    How to capture desktop sounds (Pulse Audio output) from avconv?
    pulseaudio - How to capture desktop sounds (Pulse Audio output) from avconv? - Ask Ubuntu

Ran;
    $ avconv -f alsa -i default record.wav
    Nothing captured.

$ arecord -d 10 -f cd -t wav -D copy record.wav
    Code:
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM copy
    arecord: main:682: audio open error: No such file or directory
    satimis

Linux User
    What are "desktop sounds"? The clicking of the keyboard and the creaking of the chair and the sound of the cat purring on the warm scanner? No wonder you're getting background noise. :LOL: Maybe you could mute the microphone.

What about "-f /dev/dsp" or something?

I do know there are noise reduction algorithms out there.
    Gnome Wave Cleaner from Redhawk.org for example. I haven't tried it.

I also know that some cheapo laptop soundcards can only do one thing at a time, either out, or in, not both. You cannot pipe mixed audio out the line-out and recapture it on the line-in at the same time. That's my soundcard. My wife's soundcard can do acrobatics over mine. Some SB thing.

Peace and Cheer.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Miven View Post
    What are "desktop sounds"? The clicking of the keyboard and the creaking of the chair and the sound of the cat purring on the warm scanner? No wonder you're getting background noise. :LOL: Maybe you could mute the microphone.

What about "-f /dev/dsp" or something?

I do know there are noise reduction algorithms out there.
    Gnome Wave Cleaner from Redhawk.org for example. I haven't tried it.

I also know that some cheapo laptop soundcards can only do one thing at a time, either out, or in, not both. You cannot pipe mixed audio out the line-out and recapture it on the line-in at the same time. That's my soundcard. My wife's soundcard can do acrobatics over mine. Some SB thing.

Peace and Cheer.
    What I'm going to record is the output of Google Translate. There is no mic connected to the computer. Neither is the problem of sound card.

I'm now recording the sound output with IPhone, sending it back to computer as .m4a file and converting the later to .mp3 on online m4a-to-mp3 converter. Actually it is NOT too complicate.

I have been trying to record the output direct on computer before without success. I suppose Audacity may do it for me.

Rgds
    satimis