Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I got the task of supplying a OS that's going to possibly be installed on multiple systems (in the thousands), and here is the criterias; It has to be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Create a secure, only webpage-based, Linux OS

Hi!

I got the task of supplying a OS that's going to possibly be installed on multiple systems (in the thousands), and here is the criterias;

It has to be secure; no one should EVER get access to ANYTHING else than the webpage it's going to boot to.
    It has to be lightweight, this is planned to be as quick as possible starting up, an own boot-screen would be good as well.
    It must install quickly on the machines, this is probably going to be installed on MANY devices, so complicated setups is not interesting
    And last, it MUST be able to be controlled with a remote.

It will ONLY be used for a webpage (this is someone elses work), so; when it boots up, it will be taken directly to that webpage (no login screen) and it will only give access to that specific page.

The project is for streaming TV from the country where I live in, to another country, so they can watch it where they stay. The box we are going to use must take HD with no problems, but that is not for me to decide just yet. The servers and such for it is already taken care of with someone other, so this will as I said only be to visit that page.

If anyone, can possibly help me with such a task, that would really be good. I thought of starting with DSL or PuppyLinux, but if there's another distro available, I can go with whatever works.

Thanks in advance,
    (and sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum)

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This is work for a high-priced consultant. It is NOT a simple situation, and not likely to be answered here.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    But, modifying BrowserLinux to work as said above, is that even possible with a few tweaks? I might have been a little sceptic and harsh on the requirements, the only thing really is that it starts up to that webpage (leaving the browser in the startup folder etc.) and that it's not possible to change anything (which should be easy to set with an admin passoword?)

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, not being familiar with BrowserLinux, I really cannot speculate as to the ease or difficulty in doing what you want. On most Linux systems you can perform an auto-login to a specific account, and that account can be restricted in a number of ways, including setting the shell to only allow the browser to run, logging the user out when the session is terminated. Keeping the user from getting out of the browser's "sandbox" is the key here.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!