Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a lot of FLAC files from backing up my CD collection. When I ripped them to FLAC, I did not realize different compression rates existed, so these were ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Need to compress preexisting FLAC files.

I have a lot of FLAC files from backing up my CD collection. When I ripped them to FLAC, I did not realize different compression rates existed, so these were all ripped with -0.

I'd like to compress these to -8. (Please don't turn this thread into a compression rate debate) Is there a way -using linux- to compress these files, or do I have to re-rip my CD's alllll over again?

A tool that could do this in bulk, say one directory at a time would be the best I could hope for. I could run this at night or when away from the computer when there are plenty of clock-cycles just waiting to be used.

Thank you for your help.

JDT
    Just Joined!
    FLAC is lossless so this parameter only affects file size verses decoding speed. The quality is always the same as the original.

It's probably not worth bothering unless you want the smallest possible file size. Not sure what difference the "Compression Level Parameter" will make to the file size.

It would be quite easy to write a small bash script that would call ffmpeg on all flac files in a folder. convert them back to .wav, then re-convert them to flac again.

Quote Originally Posted by JDT View Post
    It would be quite easy to write a small bash script that would call ffmpeg on all flac files in a folder. convert them back to .wav, then re-convert them to flac again.
    Is it not possible to have ffmpeg just re-encode (i.e. input file type of flac and output file type also of flac) without going to WAV? Anyway, to help the OP along, here is the documentation page for ffmpeg - it's a very capable tool.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by JDT View Post
    FLAC is lossless so this parameter only affects file size verses decoding speed. The quality is always the same as the original.

It's probably not worth bothering unless you want the smallest possible file size. Not sure what difference the "Compression Level Parameter" will make to the file size.
    It can be fairly significant as the following shows. These are the first 3 tracks off an audio book ripped at 0, 4 and 8. As you can see the space savings -especially when repeated over a lot of files, can really add up.

Code:
    -rw------- 1 Wyatt users  4676467 Nov 23 10:32 Track 01.flac
    -rw------- 1 Wyatt users  2990916 Nov 23 10:33 Track 02.flac
    -rw------- 1 Wyatt users 17690350 Nov 23 10:42 Track 03.flac

Code:
    -rw------- 1 Wyatt users 2290614 Nov 23 10:43 Track 01.flac
    -rw------- 1 Wyatt users 1457597 Nov 23 10:44 Track 02.flac
    -rw------- 1 Wyatt users 8702583 Nov 23 10:48 Track 03.flac

Code:
    -rw------- 1 Wyatt users 2267143 Nov 23 10:49 Track 01.flac
    -rw------- 1 Wyatt users 1445076 Nov 23 10:50 Track 02.flac
    -rw------- 1 Wyatt users 8647509 Nov 23 10:54 Track 03.flac

That (a script) was kind of what I was hoping someone would be able to help with. :o)

JDT
    Just Joined!
    Well, after a very quick bit of DuckDuckGo -ing, I have found this article:
    https: // blogs.fsfe.org / marklindhout / 2012 / 11 / converting-flac-files-to-mp3-with-ffmpeg-and-bash/

Probably by modifying the ffmpeg command it can be adapted to do what you want.

Also look-up bash: "foreach".

Edit: I am not allowed to post URL's so have inserted a few spaces into the URL above!

Just Joined!
    Code:
    find . -name '*.flac' -exec flac -8 -f '{}' \;