Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a system running with an Intel D2700DC Atom D2700 Mini-ITX motherboard and the Ubuntu OS. Everything works great for my original intentions of a NAS Drive with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HTPC Motherboard/CPU suggestion

Hi,

I have a system running with an Intel D2700DC Atom D2700 Mini-ITX motherboard and the Ubuntu OS. Everything works great for my original intentions of a NAS Drive with other home server duties… However, I now want a more HTPC friendly system.

When I play movies full screen via my monitor, the system is smooth enough. But when I run the system via the HDMI output to my TV the whole system is very sluggish.

I want a smooth system without sluggish behaviour when playing 1080p HD movies using the HDMI output. Would the Gigabyte E350N-WIN8 be a desirable upgrade? If not, which mini ITX Motherboard/CPU could I get?

Thanks,
    Charlie.

Trusted Penguin
    well, according to Intel's tech specs for that board, it supports smooth playback of 1080p video.

what kind of storage is the media stored on? how is the storage attached to board?

i can tell you that i use a Raspberry Pi for 1080p video playback and it streams perfectly (all over ethernet via NFS). it is certainly an economically sound choice.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply... My system is playing 1080p movie streams smoothly enough. I was making the mistake of running Ubuntu LiveCD to see if my system is capable. But when I tried LinuxMint, my system seemed smoother than I thought.

Thanks again,
    Charlie.

You could also try the XBMC media centre software - it might be more suited to the task you're using it for. It won't run all the background services that a general Linux distribution uses, and is far more focussed on the media output. Take a look a the XBMC wiki which might help, there is a version based on Ubuntu that might be preferable to you. I'm not sure what Live CDs are available, though. I use the Raspberry Pi version of this on my little Pi device that turns it into a full-on media centre that does 1080p. I'm very impressed by the whole system (hardware and software).
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/