Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm sadly ignorant regarding pc hardware, and I was hoping to get some advice about upgrading the video on my system. My machine has the Intel HD graphics chipset, which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Upgrade from Intel HD Graphics

I'm sadly ignorant regarding pc hardware, and I was hoping to get some advice about upgrading the video on my system. My machine has the Intel HD graphics chipset, which serves my needs nicely most of the time, but I'd like to be able to play the occasional game (Serious Sam 3, for example) that runs poorly with my existing setup. Can I simply plug in an Nvidia card and head on down the road? What card would be suitable (I'd just as soon not spend $800+ for a card) and how do I configure the change?

Here's the specs of my machine:
    Intel i5 3.10GHz processor
    8GB memory
    running Manjaro Linux

Thank you in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by YourPalMark View Post
    I'm sadly ignorant regarding pc hardware, and I was hoping to get some advice about upgrading the video on my system. My machine has the Intel HD graphics chipset, which serves my needs nicely most of the time, but I'd like to be able to play the occasional game (Serious Sam 3, for example) that runs poorly with my existing setup. Can I simply plug in an Nvidia card and head on down the road? What card would be suitable (I'd just as soon not spend $800+ for a card) and how do I configure the change?

Here's the specs of my machine:
    Intel i5 3.10GHz processor
    8GB memory
    running Manjaro Linux

Thank you in advance!
    It's not as simple as installing a card and turning on you computer, you will need to get and install a video driver for that card. So be sure to get a video card that supports Linux and has a driver.

Linux Enthusiast
    Nvidia is a good choice - they are pretty good about supporting Linux. You can check and see if a card that interests you has a driver here: Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

I went with the Nvidia GeForce GTX 660, and it's working great. Thanks guys!