Find the answer to your Linux question:
I posted this question on another site, but have received no help at all. Thought I would try here, too. I hope this is the right forum for this. So ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Antichamber for Linux, help needed.

I posted this question on another site, but have received no help at all. Thought I would try here, too. I hope this is the right forum for this.

So a week ago, I bought the latest Humble bundle. Now, I have had no trouble loading any of the games that I purchased. Except for Antichamber. Which of course, is the one game in the bundle I actually wanted to try. The others are good, but...

I've also tried to get help over on the steam forums, but no luck there...

When I try to launch Antichamber (install seems to have gone well eough), I get what I would call "screen duplication", which is tosay that whatever is on my screen at the moment of launch is duplicated, like a second window, but shifted up and to the left. This happens twice, and then a little bit later, twice more. Then it crashes fully, and I get control of my machine back.

I tried to find help for my problem, and then thought, "well, it can be linked to Steam, let's try that, at least then steam will download whatever I'm missing." But, even though it is now available for Linux, apparently it isn't available in steam.

So I try to invoke it directly from the terminal. This is what I get out of the terminal:

[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.
    [S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.dll.
    Loading library: libPhysXCooking.so
    Result of loading library libPhysXCooking.so: 0x9e6ba00
    Loading library: PhysXUpdateLoader.so
    ERROR: PhysXUpdateLoader.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Result of loading library PhysXUpdateLoader.so: 0x0
    Loading library: libPhysXCore.so
    Result of loading library libPhysXCore.so: 0x9e6b780
    Segmentation fault

If I launch steam first, and then try to launch it rhough the terminal, I get this:

Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 219890
    dlopen failed trying to load:
    /home/tolenmar/.local/share/Steam/linux32/libsteam.so
    with error:
    /home/tolenmar/.local/share/Steam/linux32/libsteam.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    dlopen failed trying to load:
    libsteam.so
    with error:
    libsteam.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID: Caching Steam ID: 76561198023921636 [API loaded no]
    Loading library: libPhysXCooking.so
    Result of loading library libPhysXCooking.so: 0xb40ba00
    Loading library: PhysXUpdateLoader.so
    ERROR: PhysXUpdateLoader.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Result of loading library PhysXUpdateLoader.so: 0x0
    Loading library: libPhysXCore.so
    Result of loading library libPhysXCore.so: 0xb40b780
    Segmentation fault

I am currently using Kubuntu 12.04 LTS, on an ASUS K54C Laptop, any other details you need, certainly feel free to ask.

I would add a pic of the screen output, but apparently I'm not allowed to...

Anyway, it looks like there's something wrong with PhysX, but I don't understand either why it claims that it can't find the steam files that I have visually verified are in fact where it says it's looking. I'm guessing there is a permissions issue there.

I've been using linux for three years now, and usually if I can't get a game to run, I eventually lose interest and move along (If anyone knows how to get the original Myst to run, I would love you forever!), but I paid for this one, and it looked really interesting, and I'm tired of not playing a game just because I haven't learned how to troubleshoot everything it needs.

The company appears to have a Support page have you contacted them. I never play games so can't help you.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    The company appears to have a Support page have you contacted them. I never play games so can't help you.
    The company support page doesn't get us anywhere except for a list of suggested fixes, which did nothing to help. They are also remarkably quiet over there as well.

I figured if I went where people know how Linux works (its a steam support forum), as opposed to 'sort of' works, I might have better luck.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hi, can you tell us what graphics card do you have and the driver you use?
    Seem like an Intel chipset to me, not too sure, I don't get how Asus' website work.
    What are the rights of those not-so-missing files? And the rights of Antichamber?

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by tolenmar View Post
    I've been using linux for three years now, and usually if I can't get a game to run, I eventually lose interest and move along (If anyone knows how to get the original Myst to run, I would love you forever!), but I paid for this one, and it looked really interesting, and I'm tired of not playing a game just because I haven't learned how to troubleshoot everything it needs.
    It is a very good idea to learn troubleshooting skills.

You have verified /home/tolenmar/.local/share/Steam/linux32/libsteam.so exists? It helps people to trouble shoot in general if you post some information showing how you've verified.

First thing might be to check the files that are causing problems. Try running:
    Code:
    find / \( -name libsteam.so -o -name PhysXUpdateLoader.so \) -exec ls -l {} \; 2>/dev/null
    and copy and paste the output here. Post how you are invoking the game and where it is running from. I'm guessing other games you play load libsteam?

Linux Engineer
    Incidently, the find command may take a while to execute and show no output for a while - just so you're not surprised.