Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am completely new to blu ray. I have only two blu ray discs -- Brave and Thor: The Dark World. Both are recent discs. I have only one blu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Blu Ray playback won't work - Missing Keys error?

I am completely new to blu ray. I have only two blu ray discs -- Brave and Thor: The Dark World. Both are recent discs.

I have only one blu ray drive, which seems to be functional. I have no standalone player.

I followed the directions here:

How To Get Encrypted Blu-Rays Working In VLC ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog

apt-get install vlc libaacs0 libbluray-bdj libbluray1
    download http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/files/KEYDB.cfg to ~/.config/aacs/KEYDB.cfg

(I'm using Debian Wheezy, and added Deb Multimedia Packages::Home to my sources.list to get DVD playback etc working.)

The error I get is:

Blu-Ray error:
    Your system AACS decoding library does not work. Missing keys?
    Your input can't be opened:
    VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///media/MARVELS_THOR_THE_DARK_WORLD_3D%1F'. Check the log for details.

On the console, the error is:

kuo@elsa:~$ vlc
    VLC media player 2.0.6 Twoflower (revision 2.0.6-0-gbe9623c)
    [0x94a108] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    libaacs: libaacs/aacs.c:198: Error calculating media key. Missing right processing key ?
    [0x1056718] libbluray demux: First play: 0, Top menu: 0
    HDMV Titles: 45, BD-J Titles: 3, Other: 3
    [0x1039b18] main input error: open of `bluray:///media/MARVELS_THOR_THE_DARK_WORLD_3D%1F' failed

The error is basically the same with the other disc, Brave.

From what I've read, I'm guessing that these keys only work with older blu ray discs? Does that mean I'm out of luck?
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Just Joined!
    Yeah bluray and linux are not on good terms.
    Maybe ripping the disks is in your future, a lot of linux users do that instead of normal playback

Howdy Bro.

When ever I try something new in Debian/Antix.

My go to for latest advise is https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BluRay

Then I start poking and hoping around in Sid or Experimental or Sidux and cross my fingers.
    Sometimes I be the Windsheild this way. Sometimes the bug.

P.S. I am un-tangling Windows 7 right now is why my post is so short. I got to tune up my scooter tuner laptop.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I thought there was still licensing issues with Bluray making the player expensive, guess that is the past. Here's a article maybe it will help.

How to play a Bluray movie in Debian Testing | SupremeTechs

Thanks for the suggestions! Have any of you tried any of them? I was hoping that at least one person on this forum had a blu ray drive, but maybe not?

I'm guessing that none of these methods will work with a newer blu ray disc, anyway, which means me wasting a lot of time on something that just won't work. That's why I was hoping to hear from someone who actually got blu ray playback to work.

This entire effort is for exactly one disc--Thor The Dark World. I do not care about playing back ANY other disc (Brave was a combo blu ray/dvd pack). The only thing this is for is for my wife to watch, and basically only the extras matter--preferably with menus, but whatever.

Since blu ray discs are rather expensive, it is not likely I will buy any more of them in the foreseeable future. I just want this one disc to play. I am willing to install a different OS in order to get this to work--this includes Windows. But I would feel a lot better about this if I knew someone actually got blu ray playback to work with a recent disc. All of the references I've found so far--including the ones linked above--seem rather outdated with outdated information.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Commercial BluRay discs, as you have discovered, are strongly DRM-encumbered (thanks Sony, et al). All compatible players (hardware and software) have to purchase expensive licenses. Most BR drives on PC's are licensed, but Linux players are not. That leaves you with few options.

1. Illegally break the encryption to either create a playable image, or video file. There are tools out there that will do that to create an MKV file for Linux. They work pretty well, from what I have heard. I don't have a BR drive, so I don't know.
    2. Boot a Windows system in a virtual machine with a licensed player (assuming that the VM allows you to pass the hardware directly through to the VM from your host - VirtualBox does this pretty well).

Sucks, but that's what is...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I think Bluray and Linux aren't compatible with each other.