Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all These days I downloaded the Mame emulator just to remember the good times of the arcades. After the installation, I've got some ROMs and then started playing. It ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux version tailored for gaming

Hi all

These days I downloaded the Mame emulator just to remember the good times of the arcades. After the installation, I've got some ROMs and then started playing. It was really nice to play those old great games again, except for the latency!!!

WTF! I was playing very old games on a much faster processor, and I was experiencing latency.. a latency that I did not experienced with those 20-years-old arcades!

In one hand, current processors are much, much faster than the old ones. On the other, current OSs are composed by layers and layers of software.. and tons of buffers.. that certainly impact their performance, but allow them to successfully manage virtually any kind of underneath hardware.

Is anyone aware about a Linux version tailored for gaming? I mean... I know that games developed for Linux can run on almost any standard Linux distribution. However, my question is about the existence of a stripped out Linux version, where all stuff that is nor relevant for gaming was removed. I know that such a Linux version would never be as thin as the OS that is found on a actual game console. However, I am quite sure that a lot of stuff could be removed from within Linux, reducing its latency, while still keeping it as general as possible to be run on, at least, pop processors such as AMD and Intel's.

I think that it would be a great project/initiative if it does not exist yet.

I made a quick search on the internet about that, but could not find anything.
    Do you know if is there such a Linux version, or an ongoing project on this line?

Capagot

LinuxLite is most likely about as close to what is described as is available just now.
    Or one could install a Base version and install Wine and such oneself. The option is available if the willingness to do a little work is there.
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

Trusted Penguin
    hi,

i love MAME! haven't messed w/it in a while. i'm sure you are experiencing simple MAME settings issues. but instead of trying to figure them out, maybe first try this Linux distro that was configured expressly for MAME - Puppy Arcade.

Just Joined!
    Thank you zenwalker and atreyu!

atreyu: the project at the link you've sent is closer to what I've pointed out in my first post... and it is totally insane Certainly I will give it a try!

Trusted Penguin
    i misspoke - i think Puppy Arcade was created for the purpose of retro-gaming in general, as opposed to specifically for MAME...anyway, let us know if the issues are resolved!

SparkyLinux 3.2 GameOver is out | SparkyLinux

Runs on
    Minimum system requirements for SparkyLinux 3.2 “GameOver” :
    - CPU i486 / amd64
    - 256 MB of RAM memory (some games need more than that – 500MB is better choice)
    - an optical DVD drive or 4GB USB stick for Live medium
    - 20 GB of space for installation on a hard drive
    - 16 GB of Flash/Pen USB drive for “normal” installation (32GB recommended)
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home