Find the answer to your Linux question:
.... if the client is simply installed on another distro such as Fedora or Debian or whatever.....? Thanks....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

What's the difference between Steam OS, and the Steam Client

.... if the client is simply installed on another distro such as Fedora or Debian or whatever.....?

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Not all games will work on the linux client, but the games SHOULD work on steam OS

Steam OS is essentially a slightly modified steam client on top of Debian Stable.

Not much of a difference.

Note - Only Steam-OS / Linux steam games can be played on Linux and SteamOS. Only way to get Windows/Mac only games to run on Steam for linux or SteamOs is to stream it from a Windows/Mac that has the steam game.

I believe you can stream a game to any steam client from any computer on the network, assuming you have the proper permissions.
    (See in home streaming options in steam client.)

Linux User
    You can "STREAM" the game? What the hell does THAT mean? Sounds AMAZING! What's going on during this "streaming" exactly?

If I have Linux installed on a machine with questionable 3D hardware, such as a laptop, will Steam detect everything, and allow me to only install the games which will actually work on that machine?

If it doesn't do that, then what the hell does it do?