Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Just read about this, thought I'd share it with you guys: News - GOG.com Now Supports Linux! - GOG.com...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Gog.com supports Linux

Just read about this, thought I'd share it with you guys:

News - GOG.com Now Supports Linux! - GOG.com

It's so nice that the rest of the world is starting to catch on a bit. The demise of XP and the price of 7/8 helped a lot. If game support finally gets good enough (and it's getting there fast) I'll be able to blow off my 7 dual boot, reclaim the disk space and just keep the VM to run the printer.

Linux User
    er - what's that? you need a VM to run a printer??? why?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    B/c I got a crappy doze only printer a few years back when I bought the hardware before I got in to *nix. I gave up after 6 months of trying to get it to work with *nix and I'm too cheap to get rid of a prefectly good printer. Besides, getting stuff like updates for the maps for the GPS subscription to work is a whole lot less headache in a doze VM than Wine.

Linux User
    I'm a bit confused - the GPS subscription where? You have GPS on your desktop?

...and, I'm not a hardware guy or anything, but how the hell can a PRINTER be Win-only?
    Any Linux hackers wanna take up the challenge of getting it work in Linux?

Why don't you just name and shame the brand right here?

It's a Dell 3n1, which is a rebranded Lexmark that Dell then goes in and doofs around with more then just the logo. These thngs are notorious for not working with *nix. I can get about 75% of the functions to work. But I didn't pay for 75% of a printer.

And no, silly, I don't have a GPS on my desk top. The GPS is in the car. But, it needs to be plugged in to a 'puter to run the program that calls out and DL's the map updates I've paid for. I tried to get it to run under Wine and it was a no go. And I'm *good* at Wine. I've gotten a lot of stuff to run under Wine that you weren't necessarily supposed to be able to get to run; at least mostly run enough for me to use it.

And while I personally think I'm spiffier than your average bear on *nix writting device drivers from scratch is waaaaaaaaay out of my league.

Until the rest of the world catches up completely we're not going to be able to get away from windows totally without sacrificing stuff I'm just not willing to give up; like a totally functional printer and GPS updates.

Linux User

I know what a driver is and I understand the basic theory. That's a long way from being to code the things from scratch.
    docbop likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_G View Post
    I know what a driver is and I understand the basic theory. That's a long way from being to code the things from scratch.
    I had to write a keyboard driver once and that was enough for me, I was never a good assembly language programmer. Device driver writing is something for the extra geeky type, I preferred sticking with programming networking or utilities.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    I had to write a keyboard driver once and that was enough for me, I was never a good assembly language programmer. Device driver writing is something for the extra geeky type, I preferred sticking with programming networking or utilities.
    Coding in general is my weak point. I'm working on it. My suites are sec, system config and TS. I excel at taking 20-50 peoples' work that won't work together OOB and frankensysteming it all together.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast