Find the answer to your Linux question:
Are there any webpages with GOOD guides on how to get Win games working on Linux with Wine? How about games that use DirectX, especially latest versions of these..? Also, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Any good guides for playing Windows games?

Are there any webpages with GOOD guides on how to get Win games working on Linux with Wine? How about games that use DirectX, especially latest versions of these..?

Also, what exactly ARE Crossover and PlayOnLinux? Are these pay? Any good guides for these too?

Btw, I'll be on fedora 20.

Thanks.

PoL and Crossover are both front ends for wine. They do a a lot of the configuration for you so that you don't have to do it manually; which saves time and headaches. A completely manual config of wine by hand is a PITA!

There are people who love PoL and swear by it. I am NOT one of them. After a couple of weeks of playing with it I was ready to tear my hair out; what little I have left. Log story short: IMHO It's a big mess.

Crossover on the other hand is basically "Wine Pro" and I loved it for the few months that I played with it. It is by far and away the easiest to use, understand and configure verson of wine that I have worked wth.

When I used it a year or so back it had a free trial period and then after that you're locked out of all the games you install unless you buy a "subscription". The cheapest they had at the time was $40 a month. But you didn't have to have a "subscription" every month. The first one permanently unlocked the software and got you all the current updates. After that you got no more updates w/o a subscirption. But, unless you're adding new games that require updates you don't really need them. And you can always go back and get another 1 month "suscription" to get the updates if you need them.

What I really liked about crossover is that it has lots of good documentation in it's "What will run" wiki. It's also easy to secure. You have to be careful with wine. It is possible for doze malware to run in wine and even effect some parts of your *nix system. And AV will not run in wine. But with crossover it is very easy (6-8 clicks IIRC) to make sure any damage done by doze malware is limited to the infected bottle.

And the "bottles" are it's best feature by far. It's a self-contained sub-environment that is in some ways similar to a VM or an emulator or a container or a chroot jail w/o really being any of those things. And it makes the managementof a wine install sooooooooooo much easier.

When things go as well as they can (and remember, this is Wine, "as well as it can" is mostly what you're going to get) you just install the doze deps to the botle, install the game, do a little config to the bottle and maybe some reg hacks in the bottle and some config to the game and Bob's you're uncle.

I used to keep a big folder handy with all of the most common doze deps and some generic bottles (XP, Vista, 9x) handy. With that little preplanning, any game that woud work- even just somewhat, I could have up, running and secure in under 30 minutes. I'd like to see you pull that off in any other version of Wine.

As far as checking to see what works and how well WineHQ is an excellent source of info too.

Just FYI: As a rule thumb, the newer the game is the the more trouble you will have getting it to run under wine. It does best with games that are several years old. And even games that do work won't usually support everything, like cut sceens / etc. But then again more and more every day run just as well as they do on doze.

-----------
    EDIT:

Forgot one thing:

From my experience it is best to always run the games in "emulated desktop" mode; in other words in a window. It's not a pretty as full screen. But, on more than one game I had full screen mode corrupt my window manager and I had to go CLI to repair it and restore boarders and buttons to my windows.
    Last edited by Steven_G; 09-06-2014 at 08:21 PM.

Linux User
    Thanks for your long post, but average users won't know or care about "bottles" - if they cant see cutscenes they can't follow the game!

What "reg hacks" exactly? I think it's been > a year since I last booted Windoze.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The bottles don't have anything to do with not being able to see the cut scenes. That's *all* wine. Wine is not UPnP, hot swap, plug and play. Getting a game to run in wine is a handcrafted labor of techno love / geekfu b/c you want the games w/o doze bad enough to do all the work necessary to get 85-95% of the thing working. And crossover makes all that MUCH, MUCH easier. AND THAT'S WHAT THE BOTTLE ARE FOR! Otherwise stick to dual booting doze for games.

Just Joined!
    Just to add a different perspective. I installed Wine on Ubuntu about 4 or 5 years ago and did very little configuration. I installed the Windows Steam client and tried some games and a few worked perfectly (Left 4 Dead and GTA Vice City being a couple that I remember). I found the Wine site itself useful too. While this perspective is not about how to get Wine working as best it can - just to say that some games and software just work with Wine (at least from my own experience).